Chapter Twenty Five - I Can't See You, So You Can't See Me

Chapter Song - Look At Us Now (Honeycomb) by Daisy Jones & The Six

Just walk into the kitchen Daphne. Go in, pour yourself some coffee and talk to the girls - just act completely and totally normal. 

It's definitely not at all terrifying or nerve wracking to walk into the kitchen on this calm Saturday morning, and pretend you and Danny didn't kiss and do more adulterous things the other night. 

I was thankful that it was the beginning of the week after that moment in the back yard, so any sort of alone time with Danny was non-existent. Since he was at work and I was busy with the girls. Plus I ran at any sort of sight or chance that we'd be in a room alone together. 

I don't why I'm so nervous now. I guess I'm confused, what does this mean? Do we move on? Continue? I know we should talk and I really want to, I'm just kind of stuck in this hide 'n' seek game with Danny. 

More like just 'hide', because Danny doesn't really know I'm purposefully avoiding him. Mainly to the fact it's been a busy week like always, but now it's Saturday morning. 

Danny doesn't have work. If I avoid him he'll instantly know. But I'm going to do it anyways, because I guess I'm a little bit of a problem sometimes. 

Inhaling a deep breath, gaining all the courage I can from every nook and cranny of my body, I walk out of the hallway and head into the kitchen. 

My eyes find Danny on instant, but I dart them away quicker than light and re-focus on the girls. They sit at the island, Bridie messily colouring in her princess themed colouring in book, while Hallie munches on her cereal, a book in her hand. 

They hear my footsteps and turn around in their seats, big smiles engulfing their cute little faces. Nothing beats when they see me in the morning, or after being away for a while as their faces light up and beam towards me.

"Daphy!" Bridie squeals and I smile, walking over and hugging her, pecking the top of head. 

Hallie reaches over and pulls at my grey long sleeve shirt, and I hug her small frame. "Morning," she mumbles into my chest and I peck her head.

"Morning," I reply. 

I let go of Hallie and walk over to the coffee machine, busying myself with making a cup. Adding a little milk and sugar, because I hate the plain bitter taste of just plain black coffee. No idea how Danny drinks and enjoys it. 

Danny.

A warm presence presses up against my back. Thick musk and pine consumes me, and I'm instantly trapped in a bubble of heat and flurrying nerves. 

"Morning," Danny's gruff voice whispers in my ear, his warm breath tickling my skin. 

I gulp. "Morning," I reply calmly, even though my heart is erratic. I stir my milk and sugar in my coffee, trying to focus on the swirl of the beige liquid in my mug, instead of the large presence pushed right up against me.