Chapter Forty Five - In a Decade or So...

Chapter Song - Iris by The Goo Goo Dolls

In a decade or so the girls will be teenagers, Archer will be double digits, Daphne will be in her thirties and I'll be tasting my fifties. The future has got to be the most beautifully terrifying aspect of life to face, because it's a mystery. 

And aren't all mysteries terrifying? 

The house is quiet when Daph' and I enter, the afternoon just ducking beneath the horizon as the night settles in. 

As Daph' places her duffle bag on the entry floor, I follow her as I carry Archer in his carry-on. He sits bundled up and awake, taking in everything about the new world he's just entered. 

We ended up staying another night at the hospital, simply because we could and I wanted Daph' to get as much rest in the hospital as she could. Taking advantage of having the nurses around and other hospital staff was a main point of our lengthened stay. 

"Hey," Mary meets us in the entry, her voice soft so I assume the girls must be asleep. 

Daphne meets her in a hug, before Mary bends down to take another peak at Archer. "Hey, cutie," she smiles. "How are you two?" she asks, as we make our way down the hallway. 

"Good, tired though," Daphne answers. "Where's Phil and Marianne?" she asks. 

"Oh they had some plans they couldn't miss, so they asked if we could take over for tonight," Mary answers. The two disappear into the kitchen when we enter the living space, so I meet Ben on the lounge. 

He perks up when I slump next to him on the couch, placing Archer's carrier beside me. "Hey man," he sits up. "How's my nephew?" he leans over to Archer. "You know you don't have to be such an angel around them?" he whispers cunningly to Archer. 

I roll my eyes, leaning down and unclipping him from his carrier. "Don't listen to your uncle, he's being stupid," I tell Archer, holding him in my arms. 

Tiny and delicate, his hair is dark like mine with the obvious facial features I had when I was born. If you put a picture of me as baby next to Archer, we'd look the same, besides his big wide eyes. 

Hopefully they'll morph into the same caramel colour as Daphne's, but it wouldn't matter if they stayed that beautiful blue, they already look exactly like hers. I love it, I love him and it's difficult to pay attention to anyone when he's in my arms. 

Besides my daughters and Daphne, of course. 

"Let me hold him, I haven't yet," Ben wiggles his fingers and I begrudgingly hand over my son. "He's so cute, weird because he looks a lot like you," he comments and if he wasn't holding Archer, I'd whack his head. 

Daphne and Mary come sit with us, and I tug Daphne onto my lap gently. Mary takes a seat next to Ben, leaning over as she stares at Archer. "You've had enough time, let me hold him," Mary says and Ben hands him over carefully.