Chapter Seven - Birthday Chaos

Chapter Song - Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas

"Sh," Hallie shushes us as Danny, Hallie and I all tip toe sneakily into Bridie's room. 

Walking in, I notice the blankets are completely off her body and she's sprawled out like a starfish on her bed. I stifle a laugh at her demeanour, trying not to wake her before we get the chance to surprise her.

Today is Bridie's fourth birthday and we have a big day planned, that firstly is starting with surprise presents and breakfast in bed. 

"3, 2, 1," Danny whispers.

"SURPRISE!" We all shout and Bridie shoots up from her bed, scared half out of her mind. 

Probably a little mean to scare her awake on her birthday like this, but it was Hallie's idea and I couldn't say no to her puppy dog eyes. 

"Ah!" she screams in pure joy, jumping up and down on her bed. Hallie joins her and gives her a big hug while screaming happy birthday over and over. 

Danny and I join the two once they sit down. Danny swarms her with hugs and kisses as she giggles and I do the same, whispering happy birthday in her ear. 

"Okay, what first? Presents or breakfast?" I ask her.

Knowing Bridie it'll definitely be-

"PRESENTS!" she screams. Yep, just what I thought it would be. 

I laugh. "Okay, presents first," I say and she squirms in her seat. "Card first though," I tell her, giving her the large envelope with the card Hallie made for her yesterday. 

She rips open the envelope and gasps when she sees the glitter sticker filled card. She reads through the sentences Hallie wrote for her, with a little help from Danny and gives us all a big smooch on the cheeks afterwards.

"Now, presents," I smile and she wiggles in her position, trying hard to conceal her excitement. Which thankfully she'll be able to get out this afternoon at her birthday party. 

Which yes, I did plan, with Danny's help of course and honestly, I think Bridie and Hallie may freak out. 

"Oh my god!" she squeals as she rips open her first present, which is a children's art kit, set with two canvases, paint brushes and some paint. 

Bridie has been begging to paint with me and as she's not old enough to use the proper stuff, I got her, her own. Also nice to be able to buy a good present for someone with the nice pay check I get weekly. 

"Thank-you, Lolli!" She says, catapulting onto and giving me a big hug. 

I kiss her head. "You're very welcome, babe," I smile, and she goes back and opens the rest of her presents. 

After opening the rest of Bridie's presents, we give her a homemade breakfast in bed which she scoffed down - with the added help from Hallie. 

But now the real challenge and work begins, decorating and preparing everything before her party at 3pm. Thankfully Danny hired some people to help out and plan, which made my stress levels deplete from one thousand.