Chapter Twelve - First Days Suck

Chapter Song - MMMBop by Hanson

I think my ears are bleeding. Dripping with crimson blood, that flows like a river out of my ears. I mean my ears can't take anymore of Hallie's consistent whining and tantrums - but I have to, she's only little. 

She's full of nerves this morning because it's her first day back at school, and she is not in a happy mood. She ain't a happy chap, let me tell you.

 At first I took pity on her because I know she's nervous and uncomfortable to start school again, having to meet her new teacher, be surrounded by new classmates and in a new class room. It's pretty intimidating.

But now, it's irritating me, Bridie and Danny - and it's making her feel worse than calming down would.  

"Stay still, babe." I say firmly as Hallie continues to purposely wriggle around as I do her hair. This is a part about raising kids that a lot of parents can go wrong with. Kids throw tantrums, they shout, they scream and kick when they're unhappy or nervous.

Because they don't know how to handle those emotions, how to understand and work through them. So as parents and caregivers its our job to help them through these overwhelming emotions in a gentle and kind way. 

Inhaling and exhaling a harsh breath to calm myself down, I bob down to Hallie's level and turn her to face me. "Hallie," I say firmly, her brows etched into a frown and pink lips turned down into a pout. 

"I know you're nervous, and scared for your first day back. Because it is scary, I understand the uncomfortable feeling probably fluttering in your stomach, but instead of whining and yelling at everyone, talk to me or daddy, alright?" I tell her. "Plus when you get there you'll be fine, your friends will be there, you'll get to learn and I know you love learning new things," I say gently and she looks down at her feet.

"I'm sorry," she whispers dimly.

"Oh, it's okay. You don't have to apologise for feeling," I whisper, bringing her to my chest and she instantly wraps her small arms around my body. "Today will be super fun and when you get home, you can tell me all about it," I enthuse and she nods, a happier look in her eye.

I pull her back from my chest and stand back up. "Lets finish your hair, hm? What do we want? Pigtails, pony...?" I list off and she taps her chin in thought, her demeanour now a little happier after our little chat.

I understand how she feels, it's not the first time i've dealt with first day of school nerves within a child. Not that I personally understand what they feel, I never really got nervous for school - but I empathise with them.  

More because the hatred and annoyance were my main emotions through school, and I was a little bit of a troublemaker. But I feel awful for the people that do, it breaks my heart to seem them so shaken up and scared for something thats good. 

But change can be uncomfortable and weird for a lot of people. I remember when I was younger and we'd just moved into David's house and I wasn't use to him, or the neighbourhood and this different way of life. I was uncomfortable and it was a lot for younger me to comprehend all at once, even if it was the best change.