Chapter Twenty One - Heartache Calls

Chapter Song - Wait by M83

As a nanny, my soul care and attention is to the child or children i'm caring for. Through the time I spend with them I gain real connections. I get worried when they're sick or injured and my stomach twists when they're sad. But the connection I have with the girls runs much deeper.

It feeds through my veins and straight to my heart, so whenever they cry, whine or show some ounce of pain my heart pangs in an unbearable twisting ache. 

The connection is deeper with the girls because I see them every single day, from start to finish. I'm their for every excitement, achievement and joyous scream. Though the happy moments also come with the moments of fear from a nightmare, or sadness from bing bong dying in Inside Out

I've seen it all. 

It's obvious to anyone that I care about these girls more than myself, and I see them almost as my own. I know they're not, but when you see every moment in a child's life, good to bad and know every tiny micro expression of theirs, from the nose scrunch Hallie makes when she's about to cry or the type of sigh Bridie expresses when she's about to scream in anger. 

I know them more than I know myself. This is an amazing thing, but it's also a scary thing...

At 12:32pm on this overcast Tuesday I receive a call. I pick out my phone from my pocket, like I always do. Not one part of my brain is in a panic or overdrive state as I commit this normal action. At that moment before the woman on the end of the line talks I'm okay, I'm not scared or panicked, or on the brink of crying. 

It's once the woman talks, her voice solemn and full of empathy that my heart drops into my stomach and Bridie stares at my horror stricken face with worry. Her curious 'what's wrong?' questions fade out as the woman continues to talk.

She hangs up and for a moment I'm lost, then I click - snapping into a rush mode that freaks out Bridie and as I carry her to the car tears fall down her face. 

"Hey, hey, shhh," I try to console her as I clip her into her carseat, tears streaming down her face as she sobs. 

I wipe the tears and lean over her, pecking her forehead and cheeks until she calms down. Once she's calm and breathing steadily, I hop into the drivers seat and head straight for the hospital. 

The hospital. 

Either the worst place or best place for people. A place where peoples lives get saved and new life is brought into the world. It's also a place of death, sorrow and the place of dark memory for some. 

My brain is foggy as I drive into the hospital and park in the first park I see in the crowded parking lot. "Lolli, what's wrong?" Bridie tugs on my shirt as I carry her into the hospital. My feet pounding against the concrete as I walk speedily to the front entrance of Lenox Hill Hospital.