Chapter Thirty Four - Soul Sisters

Chapter Song - Regret Me by Daisy Jones & The Six

"How are babies made?" Hallie's question echos against the kitchen walls.

Shutting the newspaper, I look up and sneak a glance at Danny, who's equally as frozen in time as I am. "You can handle this," I tell him and he sends me a playful glare. 

"Well, sweetie," He chokes out and I lean forward, an amused smile on my face as I wonder where he's going to take this. 

There's really only two options; the truth which is a little...abrasive for a six year old, plus a four year old listening in as well. Or the option to lie, and they'll find out when they're older. 

"It's just what happens when two people love each other very much and they...wish for another baby," Danny says uncertainly, shrugging as he glances at me. 

"Okay," Hallie nods, then peers back down at her book, unbothered by his answer. 

"Why don't you and daddy have a baby then?" Bridie blurts out and I fight the urge to smack my head against the counter. I love their questions, but truly, ones like these make me want to get sucked into a black hole. 

Thankfully he's quick with an answer. "Having a baby is a big adaption to life, it's not easy, especially for mummy to go through," he explains and Bridie nods. 

I send him a grateful smile and he winks in response. "Mummy?" two small hands latch onto my leg, and I look down seeing Bridie, who makes grabby hands up at me. 

I smile, bending down and picking her up, setting her on my hip. "Yes, love?" I question, flipping over to the next page of the paper. 

She leans in, lowering her voice to a whisper. "I really want a brother or sister, I don't like being the youngest," she tells me and I flush.

I glance over at Danny, who's talking to Hallie about something, but he looks up at me, his brows furrowing as he questions my flushed face. 

"Oh, well," I stumble on what to say in response. "We'll see," I tell her with a small smile and she brightens, before I place her back down. 

 Exiting the kitchen to go play, Hallie follows her, but takes a seat on the couch and continues reading. 

"What did she say?" Danny asks curiously. 

I send him a sly smile. "It's a secret," 

"Ah, how unfortunate," he jokes, coming around me and wrapping his strong arms around my torso. 

"Mhm, very," I comment, leaning back into his chest. "Do you want more children?" I ask randomly, turning in his arms to gauge his reaction. 

He hesitates, thinking about the question. "I'm not sure, both the girls kinda just happened," he chuckles lightly. "But I wouldn't mind having another or two around, they can be a lot, but they're everything," He says and I nod.