Chapter Twenty Four - Torment

Chapter Song - Need You Tonight by INXS

"Girls!" I call out as I begin the treacherous walk upstairs to their playroom. The stairs in this house are so vast and kind of steep, and it doesn't help that to get to the girls playroom - where they are majority of the time - I have to trek up two flights of stairs. 

"Girls!" I shout again. In a huff, I make it to the top of the third floor, taking a break as I'm a little out of breath from the stairs. 

I better not twist my ankle anytime soon, I think i'd give up trying to walk up and down them everyday with an injured foot or something. I have no idea how Lisa - the maid - does it everyday with washing, she's a god. 

I walk into the playroom where the girls sit surrounded by a heap of different cars, trucks, and other vehicles splayed out on a large mat that has roads and houses printed on it. 

"Girls," I huff as I walk up to them. Their gazes snap towards me, surprised at my sudden appearance. Did they just not hear me yelling? 

"It's time to get ready," I tell them and they squeal, jumping up and running over to me. "Go to your rooms and layout your costumes, I'll be their in a second," I tell them, and I hear their loud pitter patter as they descend down the stairs. 

I need a small moment before I head towards those deathly stairs again. 

Once I reach the second floor, I walk in via Hallie's room and see her flattening out her lab coat, that lays flat on her already made bed. 

I'm always surprised by the vast differences of Hallie and Bridie. Hallie freaks out if her room isn't neat and tidy, and she'll always have her bed made once she's awake. 

Bridie however? Her room is like a hurricane. I mean she is a little younger than Hallie and is only four, but I wonder how Bridie makes such mess in such a short time span. I'm honestly impressed really. 

"Ready for hair and makeup?" I ask her and she nods, scrambling into the bathroom. Since Hallie has a wig, I just do two simple braids in her hair and then clip the left over plaits across the bottom of her head, so the wig can slip on easily. 

With her makeup, I let her place the large science goggles on her face so I can trace around them, from this I'll add some grey to look like ash as if her experiment just exploded in her face. 

Thankfully her's is quite simple, and Bridie just has a Bluey costume onesie and then the mask of the dog breed of Bluey. 

Side note - Bluey is such a good show, probably my favourite out of all the children's shows Hallie and Bridie watch. I think at times i'm more invested in whats happening in the show than Bridie.

"Hal', you got your wig ready?" I call out to her as I place Bridie's hair into two low pigtails so the mask fits easily over her head. 

"Yeah!" she answers, and a moment later she's in the bathroom.