Chapter Eighteen - Ground Coffee Beans

Chapter Song - Come On Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners

"Where are you going?" Bridie asks as I tug on my light wash jeans. 

I look down to her, eyes filled with worry. "I'm going to catch up with a friend," I tell her excitedly.

I haven't seen my friend Mary for three months, since she lives down in Boston for work, so we don't get to see each other every single second of the day as we'd like. I keep telling her to get a better job back here in New York, but she just hasn't gathered the strength to do such a big move yet. 

Even though i'd help her with every step - anything to get my best friend living back in the same state as me. 

Mary has been my best friend since I was 8. I met her on my first day at my new school when we moved in with David. I was so terrified starting a new school and I'd never had a friend before, so being surrounded by so many kids my age was a lot at the time. 

I was put in Mary's class and she instantly came over and sat down next to me, talking to me about play doh and how the yellow dough is the worst one. Then with the snap of a finger we became best friends. 

I remember sitting with her at lunch and wondering why I'd felt so nervous - she made everything better on my first day, and from then on life was good because I always had Mary by my side. Even though I say best-friend, I should say sister, because we argue like we're sisters. It's crazy. 

"Ooo! Can I come?" Bridie jumps up and down excitedly. 

"I wish, but this is some me time," I tell her, and she pouts. "But how about I bring her around after, and you can meet her? Because I know you'll love her," I tell Bridie.

"Yes!" she yells. 

"Alright then," I shake my head as I laugh - she's wild. "I need to finish getting ready, but I'll see you downstairs, okay?" I tell her and she nods, running out of my room. 

Quickly, I finish the touch ups of my make up and slip my shoes on, before grabbing my purse and heading downstairs. 

"Hey Hallie, did you finish your book?" I ask Hallie as I waltz into the living room. Hallie has been non-stop reading for the past week. At dinner she'll be reading, in the car on the way to school she'll be reading - literally anywhere and everywhere her nose is in the pages of a book. 

She nods. "It was so good! And theres another one," she smiles brightly, wriggling in her seat from excitement.

"Well, we'll have to get it for you, won't we?" I smirk, and she nods enthusiastically. 

"Why does Hallie get something and I don't?" Bridie frowns, crossing her arms over her chest. 

"Because sweetie, you didn't get an A on your science project," Danny says as he walks in. Bridie whines, but leans back on the couch and re-focuses her attention on Bluey.