VI - Family Road Trip!

Number Five and Number Eight sheepishly approached Eden, who was happily napping on the soft booth made from crushed velour. She was curled up in a petite ball, with her knees tucked tightly against her chest. Strands of her curly hair hung in front of her face, tickling her eyelashes and eyebrows.

"How the hell are we supposed to go about this?" Number Eight asked, raising an eyebrow at Number Five as the pair tiptoed towards the young girl. She wasn't exactly used to being a mother just yet.

"Eden is a smart kid, she's not going to be baffled by this. We told her all about our lives when we were in the apocalypse and she was old enough. She understood just fine." Number Five nodded, validating his own point. "Eden!" He tapped the girl on the shoulder, awaking her from a deep slumber.

"Whoa!" Eden yelled before jumping up defensively. She held her fists out in front of her, scowling as she searched for who had touched her. "Oh, it's just you. Hi Dad. Hi Mom." The girl physically relaxed; her shoulders were no longer hunched to her ears and she lowered her fists.

Number Eight looked at the girl closely, analysing her. She had only seen Eden at a toddler age, so this was quite the shock. "Wow, she really looks like you." She leant towards Number Five's ear.

"What are you talking about? She's the spitting image of you." Number Five said combatively, looking at Number Eight in disbelief.

"Dad's right

"Dad's right. I look like you." Eden said, wrapping her arms around Number Eight's waist. Feeling a tug at her heartstrings, Number Eight cuddled the girl in return, running her hands through her coiled hair.

"Eden, how old are you?" Number Eight asked, desperate to put some pieces of this very complex puzzle together.

The small girl pulled away from her mother and shrugged her petite shoulders. "Eleven."

"So, am I right in thinking that Lila came to a completely random timeline and picked you up completely out of the blue?" Number Five asked, wrapping an arm around his daughter's shoulders. Despite looking more like her mother, she truly did have a resemblance to Number Five. Her eyes were an olive shade of green, just like his, and the majority of her dark hair was a reflection of his own.

Eden nodded. "Pretty much. She just popped up out of nowhere with Stanley, said she was looking for Uncle Diego but she got a bit lost in time when she was travelling. She didn't mean to end up in the apocalypse, but she was surprised to find Mom there. She said she knew a younger you and needed to find you again. Stanley wanted some company, Lila needed help time travelling, and I wanted to see you guys. So here I am." The young girl folded her lips into a small smile, something that her mother often did.

"Where the hell is Lila now?" Number Eight asked, standing closely beside her daughter. Considering both she and Number Five were stuck in their teenage bodies, the three of them looked more like siblings than parents and child. Eden was practically the same height as Number Eight, making their current relationship slightly odd.