XI - The Uniform Is Gone And The Suit Is In

"I like the suit, Five. Though, I will miss the dear schoolboy shorts. Thank God the fedora is gone." Number Eight said as she leant against a wall. Her eyes drifted up and down Number Five's figure, which was now clad in a well-fitting, tailored suit. She had to admit, he looked good.

"Thanks. The tailor in the lobby is a master craftsman." Number Five replied, clipping two long cables to the handle of one of the briefcases in an attempt to jumpstart it with electricity.

Lila nodded in agreement with Number Eight

Lila nodded in agreement with Number Eight. "True, I will miss those pasty knees."

Number Five grasped the cables tightly in his hands, bouncing up and down on his heels with a nervous energy. "Ready to hot-wire this briefcase?"

"You know, if I have survived two apocalypses only to die of electrocution, I will never forgive you two." Number Eight pushed herself off of the wall she leant upon and approached Number Five and Lila.

"Let's do this." Lila exhaled, before flicking the electricity switch, sending a large shock through Number Five's body.

"Shit! Lila!" He yelled as his body jolted with electricity. Suddenly, the briefcase engulfed itself in flames. Meanwhile, Lila laughed maniacally.

"Yeah, I was 99% sure that wouldn't work." The woman scoffed.

Number Eight frowned at her before looking at Number Five, ensuring he was okay. The boy brushed down his new suit and shook out his static hair. "Yeah, well, I'm glad his pain amuses you."

"Oh, you have no idea. It's like my therapy." Lila smiled, her eyes wide and her teeth gritted tightly.

"Well, now we are down to one half-dead briefcase, and my jumps are only accurate up to a couple of minutes. So, essentially, we're screwed." Number Five began to pace back and forth, obviously stressed.

"Maybe. Maybe not." Number Eight said bashfully, a large grin growing across her cheeks.

Number Five squinted his eyes at the girl, curious as to what she was thinking. "Oh, I hate that smile." He said, tilting his head back slightly and looking at the girl with doe-eyes.

"Look, I've got an idea. On your own, your jumps are only so powerful. But, if you and Lila powered up together, you blinking, Lila mimicking that blink, I think you could create some kind of feedback loop and get enough juice to jumpstart the case." Number Eight spoke excitedly as she realised her theory could truly work.

"Both of us together?" Number Five asked sceptically.

Lila hummed. "We'd have to trust each other." 

"Trust each other? Lila, you just spent the better part of the last ten days trying to end my life, and hers." He gesturing towards Number Eight.

Lila held her hands out innocently. "You killed my birth parents! And your entire family stood by while that greasy Swede put a cap in the woman who raised me."