IX - A Pool Cue And A Paradox

"Okay, gather round people." Number Five said matter-of-factly as he approached Diego, Allison and Viktor in the Hotel Obsidian bar. Number Eight, Klaus and Eden followed closely behind him, trying their best to keep up with his fast pace.

"Where is- Where's every-Where's Luther?" Number Eight looked around the bar, noticing that there was no sign of Number One, nor Stanley. "Where's Stanley, Diego?"

"Okay, you know what? We've got bigger problems to worry about right now." Number Five said, slapping down Klaus' papers on the bar top.

Allison scoffed, throwing a stream of alcohol down her throat. "Like what?" She looked Eden up and down. "Who's the kid?"

Number Five rolled his eyes at Allison, tired of her attitude. "Like this." He pointed a long, thin index finger at the papers. "And that's Eden, my our daughter." He looked between Number Eight and the young girl. "It's a long story."

"Who are they?" Viktor asked as he peered over Number Five's shoulder, noticing eight black and white photos of various women

"These are our mothers." Number Five said, scattering the photos so that they were visible to the rest of the family.

"Oo, that one is mine." Klaus poked a finger at one particular photo, which showed his mother, Rachel.

Number Five exhaled deeply through his nostrils as Diego, Viktor and Allison analysed the photos closely. "They're all dead. They all died on the exact same day, October 1st, 1989.

"Your birthday?" Eden asked, looking between each of the Hargreeves family members. She knew about their joint birthday and their powers, but this news still didn't make sense.

"It's not our birthday any more. They all died before we were born." Number Eight tried to explain, however, she was simply receiving an either confused or disbelieving look from each member of her family.

Diego scoffed, chuckling under his breath. "That's dumb. If we weren't born, how can we exist?"

Number Five glared at Diego, unimpressed. "Exactly."

"What are you saying?" Viktor asked, his voice gentle and timid. Truthfully, he was anxious that it was he who had wreaked havoc in the timeline... again.

"He's saying, when you all jumped here, you created a time paradox. All right? Not just any paradox. This is the grandfather paradox." Eden said quickly. The family all stared at the girl, bewildered as to how she knew this, before looking at Number Five and Number Eight for an explanation.

Number Eight raised an eyebrow. "What? My kid is smart."

"Well, if kiddo is right, then what the hell is a grandfather paradox?" Klaus asked the question that was on everyone's mind.

***

Stanley and Eden bickered over a game of pool whilst the Hargreeves family attempted to create a plan of action.