VII - The Golden Trio... Plus Eden

"You know, this isn't actually so terrible." Number Five spoke from the passenger seat of the car. He sat beside Klaus, who was driving, meanwhile, Number Eight and Eden were perched in the back seats. Eden was staring out of the window, her eyes darting back and forth as she followed the tree-lined road. Number Eight remained fairly quiet, still trying to adjust to the fact that her future daughter was sitting beside her.

"See? Told you

"See? Told you." Klaus said, taking a large, gurgling slurp from his take-out cup. Admittedly, Klaus' driving made Number Eight slightly nervous, though she knew that if she said anything, he would only become defensive.

"Come to think of it, my whole life I've been under the gun. Missions for Dad, working for the Commission, trying to survive the apocalypse. I was always looking around every corner, just waiting for the other shoe to drop. It's nice to just breathe." Number Five said with a deep exhale, turning his head so that he could see Number Eight and Eden in the back of the car. He smiled to himself.

Klaus nodded slowly. "Good for you, man. Retirement is suiting you."

"Tell me about it, Klaus. He's gone soft." Number Eight chuckled lightly, leaning forward and placing her hands on either of Number Five's shoulders. He reached up, placing his hands on top of hers.

"Look, Mom! There's a deer on the side of the road! I hope it stays out of the way of the cars." Eden said, pointing her finger at the window. Number Eight peered over her shoulder to see a young deer on the road verge, happily nibbling away at the grass.

"Oh! Uh... All right!" Number Five said, bending over and picking up a map from the footwell of the passenger seat. "So, I've circled all the roadside attractions along the way."

Klaus stammered. "I'm not sure that we're going to have time..."

"We have the Brownsville Big Nickel. Oh, Ricky's Bakery has award-winning pies." Number Five continued, clearly too excited about his planned sightseeing.

"If you just let me explain..." Klaus tried to interrupt, though Number Five was too invested in his map. Number Eight only grew curious, concerned as to what Klaus was alluding to.

"Or there's this Cow Henge-"

Klaus raised his voice louder so that he could be heard in the car. "Listen to me. Just shut up for two seconds, okay? Just two seconds, all right?"

Number Five paused for a moment, his grin becoming tight-lipped. "Okay, I'm all ears."

"Go ahead, Klaus." Number Eight interjected, offering Klaus a smile, though he didn't notice due to his eyes being fixated on the road.

Klaus took a deep breath, preparing for what he was about to say. "We are going to Pennsylvania to find... my birth mother. Yay!"

"Excuse me?" Number Five and Number Eight spoke in unison.