Afraid to Love

Placing his hand over my heart Medina gave me access to his mind and emotions. In the darkness King, his wolf greets me. He is majestic. King is magnificent with fur as dark as ink, eyes shining, standing at full height. We stare at each other. I feel King's protectiveness over Medina. To make him feel at ease, I placed my hand on King's leg so he could feel my intentions. He stepped aside once he determined my intentions.

I was overcome by anxiousness and self-doubt.

"Daniel, be a big boy and go to class," his mother coaxes a five-year-old Daniel hiding behind her legs. Daniel peeked around her legs, looking into the classroom. Everyone was playing, not paying attention until a pretty little girl caught his attention and smiled at him. Daniel felt happy and shy. He was drawn to her and her friend. They looked like twins, but he could tell them apart because this little girl smelled so good to him. Her smell made him at ease.

I felt the honesty in his heart when he vowed that he would always be my best friend. I felt the shyness whenever Emerald held his hand to walk to recess or when she shared her cookies or told him secrets.

The turmoil began in seventh grade as the attention from other girls distracted him from his summer promise to reconnect with Emerald and Diamond. He walked toward them to join in their conversation and was stopped by Gisella and her friends. Daniel thought she was pretty, but he focused on Emerald while she talked.

Emerald felt his attention slowly being consumed by Gisella's intense focus on him, inserting herself into every part of his life. She was in all of his classes and introduced herself to his family. Emerald could feel his growing anxiety as his family began to plan his and Gisella's future because they made such an attractive and compatible couple.

Emerald watched Daniel walk over to her locker, where she stood talking to Diamond. She could tell by the locker location they were in tenth grade. Daniel had made his mind up over the weekend that he would speak to Emerald on Monday and see how she had been doing. He approached Diamond and Emerald with a smile, filled with nervous energy and uncertainty.

Daniel felt hopeful as Diamond greeted him with a big smile.

"Hey Diamond, are you back for the semester?" "Yea, I missed this one, "she pointed to Emerald. Emerald turned around and didn't acknowledge his presence. She grabbed Diamond's arm and walked off before he could speak to her. Daniels's feeling of rejection coursed through Emerald's heart, causing a tear to escape her.

The next memory was the day Emerald confronted him about being mates. He was excited about the game. He had just found out he was being recruited and could barely contain his excitement.

Daniel had heard what Emerald said about them being mates, and he was happy. He wasn't surprised because he had always loved Emerald, but the space between them had only grown since childhood. Admittedly he was confused. He couldn't reconcile his feelings and make sense of everything. He was overloaded with emotions and chose the one he could reach first, denial. Pain hugged his heart as Emerald read the rejection in his eyes and walked away.

Daniels's pain lay buried deep in his heart and only began to ease on the night of Emerald's coming home party. Walking into the party, King became excited. Daniel stood behind Emerald as she had a drink with Diamond. He recognized the sweet smell. Daniel could feel the first hint of panic because he wasn't sure which one of them he had scented.

With all of his heart, he hoped it was the way Emerald said it would be; with everything he prayed, it was Emerald's scent. When Diamond walked away, the scent stayed. Daniel was relieved it was Emerald. Emerald was his secret childhood love, and she was his true mate. The happiness he felt flowed freely through him. He couldn't wait to be her mate, her husband, the father of her children. He wanted it all with Her.

Emeralds hand flew away from Medina's heart, looking into his eyes

"Medina, why...why didn't you tell me?'

"I didn't know how. I didn't think you were interested in being my friend, never mind date or love me-" Emerald's kiss ended his explanation.

The kiss was the first time she had initiated any sign of affection. Media pulled Emerald onto his lap returning her kisses. Lifting his hips, his desire evident in the hardness pressed against the heat he felt between Emerald's thighs. Emerald was thrown off balance feeling the shocks from Daniel's arousal.

"Daniel......." Emerald whispered, kissing his neck and moving her hips to increase the friction between them. Emerald began to unbutton his shirt, needing to feel more of him.

Caressing her back and kissing her neck, "Sweetheart, you know the Elders have set the rules. We can not break the rules,". His words did little to calm Emerald's the desire consuming her.