[05]

V

V

"Milana? Is that really you?" Nico asks from the doorway. I greet him with a reserved smile and nod to answer his question.

Nico is my Godfather and for most of my life, he has done everything he can to protect me. But sometimes he can be... Intense.

I follow Nico inside and my gaze immediately falls on my mother sat with my sister at the prodigious dining table, probably discussing the ball next week. It's all they ever used to talk about. They look pretty much the same aside from my sister now has blonde streaks running through her hair.

"Milana, what the hell!" My sister, Francesca yells as she runs up to hug me. My mother doesn't venture from her seat but I heed the astounded expression on her face. "Milana!? Oh my god!" My mother suddenly yells as if something in her brain has clicked.

I am reassured when she dashes up to me and pulls me into a tight embrace. I take notice of footsteps coming from upstairs. Two of my cousins come racing down the stairs as soon as they hear my name mentioned.

"Oh look who has finally returned home!" My younger cousin Enzo says, before playfully punching me on the arm. My other cousin, Harvey doesn't seem as fussed that i'm home after all this time but flashes me a half smile and hurries back upstairs.

Whats his problem?

Fran is noticeably the happiest that I am back home, we were always the closest after all. "Just in time for the ball next week!" She says, grinning from ear to ear.

"Francesca! Your sister just arrived back home after being gone for five years and you're already talking about the ball!?" My mother snaps.

I understand that my family have lots of questions for me so I follow them to the living room and we each slump down on the commodious couch. "Where have you been for the past five years, Mila?" My mother asks, placing her hand on my knee. I sigh in inanition."I needed some time away from this life, I guess. It's been hard but i'm so glad i'm back now" I say, genuinely jubilant to be back.

Francesca opens her mouth to say something but promptly stops herself. I can tell something is playing on her mind. "Have you heard from uncle Tony?" She asks, clearly concerned about him. Hearing his name makes me sick. I shift around in my seat uncomfortably, thinking of an answer.

"No, why?" I lie.

Francesca plays with with the edge of a cushion, her expression wistful.

"He was supposed to be here today but never showed." She says, searching me for answers.

Before anyone else can bring up anything else on the topic, Harvey buts in. "Are you back for good?" He asks, with very little interest in his voice. "I'm not sure." I reply, seeing my mother's face drop with my words.