[14]

XIV

XIV

"As much as I would love to, I have a game to play." He announces, motioning to the elevator that opens on cue. A group of men in tuxedos march out, all clutching drinks in their hands.

I take this as my cue to leave and follow James to the bar. I look over my shoulder for a moment and see them setting up for poker. "Promise that you will get me drunk." James says as I turn my head back to him. "Haha, I promise." I reply.

We each order a shot of tequila and cheers. Every now and then I turn my head to watch the poker for a little while. I watch as a man tosses a $10,000 chip into the pot.

Marco's rich anyways, what's the point of playing for money?

I begin to step forward when my gaze falls on the cards in Marco's hands. I quickly calculate his odds in my head. He throws down three cards and I gasp in my head. b"Risk taker, are you?" I ask, feeling the alcohol begin to have it's effect on my body. His voice comes out strong. "And you're not?" He replies with a smirk.

He draws three new cards and flashes me his hand. I see that he's pulled two ace's and a 10 from the risky draw, giving him a full house.

"Bet for me." He orders. He glances over to me, power, fierce and unyielding, radiates from him. I take a breath and focus on the cards. Taking a chance, I lean over and push all his chips forward. My hair brushes over his cheek for a brief moment and we both tense.

"500,000 dollars." The dealer calls out. The rest of the players quickly fold and the dealer passes the mound of chips back to Marco. He turns to me, shooting me an impressed look. "I will say, bella, I didn't think you had it in you." He says, chuckling softly. "Don't ever underestimate me." I reply, confiscating his drink from him and taking a sip of it. He takes a long, lingering look at me.

The chair beside Marco begins to decline as a man gets up from it. "Nice win, big guy. Now how do you feel about sharing your lady luck with the rest of us?" The man proposes.

"What makes you think I share?" Marco replies, the flat, dangerous tone in his voice making me shiver. "Ever heard sharing is caring?" The man asks, pushing his body over the table. "Ever felt my fist on your jaw?" Marco replies, they both laugh quietly but Marco does not look impressed.

Oblivious to how much danger he's in, rich guy leers at me and pats his thigh. "Come on, sweetheart. I can pay double what he's paying." He proposes. "I doubt you could afford it." I reply.

"You can't talk to me that way! Do you know who I am?!" He asks, nose flaring in ferocity. I swirl my drink around in it's glass and take another sip. "No and I don't really care." I reply, totally unbothered.