[23]

XXIII

XXIII

"Status report?" I ask, looking at each individual located around the room. My mother sits in the corner, tapping her foot on the ground.

"It's a full blown war out there." James calls out from the dining room table. I hold in a breath for a few seconds, feeling my vision blur slightly, and release.

"Did you know Luca was making a move on New York?" One of my cousins ask. "I know now, what are the hotspots?" I question as I look towards the other side of the room, catching sight of James on his phone tapping the screen aggressively.

I stride along the tiled floor and flop down in a congenial chair besides James. He offers me his drink and I instantly accept it. I twirl a large strand of hair in my fingers while taking a large sip of the whiskey.

"The docks are locked down by corrupt cops working for Martínez. The Five Points is on fire." James explains, waiting for someone to elaborate. "That's one of the businesses paying protection." Marco adds. I nod in both of their directions and finish the drink clutched between my hands.

"So if they're burned to the ground, all our payment's compromised." I say, biting down on my lip roughly. "And Marco's casino is being cleared out. These are the hottest epicentres as of now."

"Coordinate the field teams while Marco and I gear up. We'll be out there ASAP." I voice harshly as I feel every muscle in my body going rigid. "Sure thing, boss." James agrees.

"I'll go get my weapons and meet you back in your room in thirty minutes." Marco explains, turning around and fading into the darkness of the hallway.

Once he is out of my vision, I begin walking to the stairwell when David intercepts me. "What the hell are you doing here!?" I ask, fire burning in my loins. "Listen! I can get you out of this" He says desperately trying to hold my attention. I sigh as I look up to the ceiling and turn around in annoyance. "And hows that?" I ask. "I can get you out of the city. Luca will kill you!" He says, raising his voice to emphasise the last few words.

"Are you fucking kidding me?! You think I would abandon the Mafia like that?!" I exclaim in an outraged whisper. David steps closer to me. So close that I could see every single detail of the scar that cuts through his upper lip. "I'm trying to look out for you, Milana. Your father would have wanted you to live!" He suggests. My eyes narrow. "You're wrong, my father would want me to fight for the Mafia." I challenge his words with mine, making him shift back ever so slightly.

I nod at two of my men and they approach. They grab David tightly by the arms, and the man starts squirming. "You're actually going to execute me, Milana?!" He yells in outrage. I head upstairs to my room, ignoring David's screams as he gets dragged away.

When I hear my door creaking, I'm filling my boots with fighting knives. Marco comes in and starts scanning my body up and down. He pushes a gun into my hand. "Take it." He demands, pushing the gun harder into my skin. I attain it from his possession and shove it into my pocket.