[07]

VII

VII

𝐖𝐚𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 up is hell.

My arm is sore, my throat is dry, and my mind feels like it will explode at any given moment. My eyes open then shut. Open then shut. The light is too much. I groan and attempt to sit up before a slap comes out of nowhere and a sharp sting assails me.

My eyes force themselves open, and I stare at the culprit. An unfamiliar face stares back at me through indignant eyes. His eyes looked inhuman. Two empty black holes replaced what should be a window of morality. "What the fuck was that for?!" I yell, pushing my body as far away from him as I can. "You killed one of our best men." He growls. I stare at him in disbelief until coming to a realisation.

I really did kill one of them.

Good for me.

"If he was one of your best then clearly you need better men." I say, snickering at him. His furious expression tells me all I need to know as he pulls me towards him and forces my head against the wall. "I'm not going to give you what you want." I spit, just so managing to force the words out before my head is slammed into the wall. A throbbing ache submerses me but I show no signs of pain.

I know that I have to be smart in situations like this. I have to lead them on with the smallest of truths, until they become desperate. Desperation is a weakness. And that is exactly what I need to bring out in them.

The guard storms out of the room, slamming the door on the way out, and I am once again left alone in sheer silence. I take this opportunity to assess my surroundings.

The room is small, barely fitting a bed and a few chairs in. I stand up and creep my way over to the door to listen in for any sounds or noises.

"Why don't we just take her to Luca now?"

"We can't. He will kill us. We need her to talk first."

Huh?

Luca? Who the fuck is Luca? I lean in closer to the door before it is abruptly kicked in. The door swings open and collides with the wall besides it. I duck behind a chair, keeping myself out of view.

"I don't want any funny business, Demise." A different guard calls out.

Demise. I repeat the word in my head over and over.

Memories from the past come flooding back to me all at once, enveloping my entire body in numbness.

Demise. The most feared person in New York. Nobody knew my face back then, only my title. Coming back after five years of absence, I wasn't going to hide anymore. And most importantly, I wasn't going to be defined by a stupid name.

I wiped out hundreds of people and was sent on a new job almost every single day. I loved killing people. Some things never change, I still find satisfaction in hurting those who deserve it.