Poem For Her

June 22, 20XX
Evening

Charlotte and I enter the mansion, and the maids immediately assist us. They take her coat and hat, then put them on a rack. We head to the dining area, where everyone is busy talking while waiting for us.

My father's friend is the host for tonight's dinner. On his right side is his wife; beside his wife is the rude girl that I forgot the name, throwing dagger stares at me again.

"Sit down, Charlotte and Becca," the host says, and we nod.

Charlotte sits down beside Saint, and I sit down beside my mom.

"Don't be shy, Becca. You can call me Mr. Chankimha. By the way, this is my daughter Sarocha, but everyone calls her Freen."

I nod and smile. Freen? I thought they were only joking yesterday. Is she somehow in jail or something? If I'm not mistaken, Freen means to free or to release. Though most people know that Freen means "foreign."

"Do you want to be free?" I tease her.

"Do you want to die?" she asks.

"Sarocha! What kind of behavior is that? Is that how you greet our guests?" Mr. Chankimha becomes furious.

My father tells me to shut my mouth and leave Freen alone. Why is it my fault? I only asked her if she wanted to be free.

"Calm down, uncle. Freen is only teasing her. They are still kids," Saint says, and Mr. Chankimha nods.

The maids start to serve the appetizer first, and we all taste it.

I don't know that it's rigorous here. You have to follow seating etiquette and table manners. At home, I used to eat in my bedroom alone and ignore the people outside.

After the appetizer, they serve the main dish. Mr. Chankimha asks Saint about his studies abroad, and he answers politely. He also urges Charlotte, and she says the same thing.

"What about you, Freen? How's your job at your new place?" he asks his daughter, but Freen only nods and thumbs up.

"I thought you wanted to own the winery?" Saint asks Freen, but she's busy eating, so she can't answer immediately.

"It seems that your daughter is flexible and intelligent. She can manage the business while working as a professor." My dad smiles at her.

"I told her to quit and focus on the business, but she can't. She loves teaching college students. I still remember the one student who came to me and asked permission to date Freen. I almost got a heart attack." Mr. Chankimha laughs. "He's a first-year college, and Freen was a newbie at that time."

"I didn't know you like younger boys, Freen." Saint teases and nudges Freen, causing her to roll her eyes.

"Maybe Freen is still healing, don't tease her." Charlotte nags Saint, and our parents pause for a moment.

"You already got a boyfriend, and you didn't tell us?" Freen's mother asks.

Saint and Charlotte laugh and hide their faces. Freen is now looking at them with raging eyes. They must know something that her parents don't. What a great friend, indeed.

"Let's eat. I want dessert," Freen says, ignoring the question.

Time goes by, and it's finally 11 p.m. Mr. Chankimha told us to stay in the guestrooms and asked the maids to prepare for it.

I walk to the garden near the west wing of their mansion and sit on the swing. It's cold out here, but the smell of the air breeze sends an overwhelming atmosphere. The sound coming from the leaves gives a calm ambiance.

I can stay here the whole summer if they let me.

"Enjoying the fresh air?" A familiar voice pulls me from my thoughts.

"What do you care?" I ask irritatedly.

"Your bedroom's ready. Aren't you tired? Go ahead and rest." She prompts, but I ignore her.

"I'll sleep whenever, wherever I want, and with whoever I want." I stick my tongue out.

"Then sleep here." She lifts her left eyebrow and is about to enter the mansion when I block her way.

"I'm only kidding. Where's my room?" I ask.

"Dad told me to share a room with you since another family came. Your mansion is larger than mine, so we don't have enough rooms for all the guests. If you want to sleep here, I'd be grateful." She smirks and passes me.

I follow her until we reach her bedroom. It's so dark. It seems that the owner is depressed. The paint on the walls is gray. Every piece of furniture is in color black and white. Even the blinds and bedsheets are gray.

"Why is your room so dull?" I ask.

Freen closes the door behind me as she ignores my question. She hands me a pair of silk pajamas and points to the bathroom.

I look around more when she lies on the bed. An open book catches my attention. I don't know why it is inside the glass and has its table. My curiosity leads me to read what's inside the book. It's a free-verse poem.

How long have you been waiting for life to start and end?
Life has been dull lately; things are spilled with grey.
I see ash until I see red.
I am bruised, dark, and blue.
I want no other shade of sadness but you.
When things turn black and crimson is on the floor.
Do you still see me under rose-tinted light?
When crayons run out of color.
When I'm no longer your yellow.

"Hey, aren't you going to take a shower, or do you want to shower together?" Freen nags, causing me to roll my eyes.

I haven't finished reading the poem. It's so great. I also didn't see the author.

"Who's the author of the book?" I ask while peeking in the door of the bathroom.

"It's about crayons, you idiot. The author is QK. You don't need to know her."

I thought the author was his ex-boyfriend. That's why he's keeping it like an artifact.

Wait, is she gay?