Abandoned Mansion

June 25, 20XX

"I have a meeting with Mr. Chankimha. Are you sure you want to go with Freen to the ranch?" Dad asks while fixing his tie.

"Yes, she told me she would teach me how to ride horses. If that's fine with you," I say.

"As long as it's Freen, it's okay with me."

I fake a smile and nod.

I quickly shower and wear a comfy baby pink shirt tucked in my black jodhpur pants and short paddock boots.

"How many years should I wait for you to finish?" Freen squints.

"A minute." I put on my lipstick and smile at her.

Freen rolls her eyes and hands me the equestrian protective vest and helmet.

We went to the ranch, and she checked all the horses first before motioning the jockey to put saddles on two horses.

Freen tames the white one before giving me its reins. She motions for me to step on the stirrups, but I shake my head. I'm afraid I can't do it.

Freen asks the jockey to hold the horse for a while. She takes my hand and teaches me how to climb a horse properly.

"Put your left foot facing forward into the left stirrup, then push off your right leg as you transfer your weight to your left foot," Freen instructs, so I did.

I climb on the horse, and she gives me a thumbs up. Freen hands me its rein and tells me not to move since her horse is still inside the stables.

She's looking at me with a smile as if she's so proud of what I achieved. I can't help but smile at her too. My fears fade away with her single chuckle.

My face turns red, so I look away and observe the surroundings. It's too high up here, but I feel safe. I can keep my balance, so I don't have any more problems.

Freen climbs on her horse and swings her right leg to make the horse move. I did the same thing, and it follows Freen's horse.

"Stay calm; as long as you're not pulling their reins with force, they won't run. Use the reins to control their direction." Freen shows me how to, and I follow her immediately.

I can say that Freen being a professor, is compelling. She can teach in the easiest way that her student can understand.

"Do you want to go somewhere?" she asks.

I nod and point to the mansion near us. I haven't seen it since I came here.

"That's the abandoned mansion. Saint and I used to go there when we were kids. Follow me." She holds the reins firmly and shouts. "Go!"

I did the same thing, and my horse followed Freen until we reached the mansion. Compared to its title, this mansion isn't creepy. It doesn't give scary vibes. It's like a vintage house but still clean.

"Saint's family owns this place. Unfortunately, they moved to another country since their first child wanted to be a model." Freen motions for me to follow her. "But before they reach their destination, the plane crashes. There are lots of casualties, including Saint's parents. At a young age, he learns to manage the whole Phiman. His sister was traumatized and didn't want to go back here. She doesn't want to ride a plane anymore."

I look at the family photo of them. Saint's sister is gorgeous. She seems like Saint but a girl version.

"Is she kind?" I ask.

"She is. The kindest girl I know. She's my first crush." Freen chuckles. "She always saves me when my parents want me to do something I don't want. She told me that I should follow my heart at all times."

Freen eyes become teary. I hand her my handkerchief, but she refuses. She must miss her. It's been years since they last saw each other.

"Sorry if you have to see me in this state." Freen wipes her tears using her fingers. "Let's go before the sun sets."

Freen and I go back to our horses. I was about to climb when the horse ran wild, causing me to fall. Luckily, I'm wearing a helmet and vest, so my head and back are safe, but my legs are not.

"Becca!" Freen calls and goes in my direction.

I can't stand or sit. I can't move my feet.

"Don't move. Let it rest until the pain alleviate." Freen says worriedly as she caresses my head to calm me down.

I don't want to ride horses again. A while ago, we became friends. I don't know what happened to that, and it ran immediately.

When the pain lessens, I tell Freen I can walk now, but she refuses. She carries me and helps me climb the horse using my non-injured foot, and then she climbs too.

"Are you uncomfortable?" she asks.

I shake my head.

"Okay, let's go." She swings her feet again and pulls the rein so the horse runs.

I can't help but look behind me. I want to know if Freen is also comfortable in our position. Am I blocking her sight or what? She's so focused on controlling the horse.

"Stop glancing at me. I can't see." She warns, so I look straight.

"Sorry," I mutter.

"Your foot needs ice, so we'll head to our mansion. I'll call your father about what happened." She informs.

"I thought there was no signal here?" I ask.

"Perhaps your device isn't connected to wifi, idiot."

I shut my mouth before Freen pushes me off the horse.