Night Swimming

June 24, 20XX
Evening

While we are having dinner, my parents can't take their eyes off Freen and me, forming an awkward atmosphere. Every time I put the steak in my mouth, they will fake a cough as if waiting for an explanation.

"Dad, I told you earlier. We came out to buy something. A souvenir." I explain again.

"And you enter through the window? Do you know how dangerous it is?" Dad retorts, making me look at the floor.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Armstrong. I'm the one who climbs the tree first to see her." Freen tries to defend me, but dad shakes his head.

"If Becca were thinking straight, she wouldn't climb it. She wanted it too."

I roll my eyes. She's mad at me but not at Freen. Of course, Freen's father is his best friend, who helps him through the ups and downs. BUT I AM HIS DAUGHTER.

"Stop it; let them eat." Mom nudges my dad.

My father looks at me with disappointment. I focus on eating and leave the dining area after dinner.

"I'll ask your father if you can sleep here. There are lots of guest rooms in this mansion. You can pick whatever you like." I hear my dad talking to Freen while I'm treading to the pool.

"It's fine, Mr. Armstrong. I can go home."

"No, it's dark outside. Besides, your father let us sleep in your mansion. Consider this as gratitude."

I roll my eyes again. I'm not jealous nor mad at Freen. I'm upset. I dip into the pool and inhale before sinking into the cold water.

It takes a minute before I get out of the water, but I see Freen looking at me inches away. Her strides are heavy as she journeys in my direction. She's wearing a black satin robe, and her long dark hair is down. I can see her long flawless legs, and how she smiles at me sends an unusual sensation.

"Enjoying the view?" I ask when she reaches her destination– in front of me.

I only wear red spaghetti-strap silk sleepwear, and my hair is tied in a messy bun.

"Although you're beautiful, you're still young, Becca. You're not my type," she says and pushes me to the pool again.

Freen laughs, sending me an infuriating sensation all over my body. Damn it! It's so cold and freezing.

"Let me help you," Freen says and lends her hand.

Instead of getting out of the water, I pull her, too, causing her to shriek. She holds on to me as she unties the ribbon on her robe.

I turn around, but she's still holding onto my shoulder.

What the heck is she doing? Stripping in front of me?

"Stop overreacting. I have a swimsuit." Freen pulls me and makes me face her. Her eyebrows are furrowed.

The atmosphere turns profound. I can't take my eyes off Freen, and I bet she's feeling the same too. The water was supposed to be cold, but I could feel the heat in my body.

I gulp and look away to avoid her gaze, and she does the same. This doesn't seem right. I shouldn't feel this way toward Freen.

"Becca," she calls my name.

"Hm?" I turn to her, acting like everything's fine, but I don't like the ambiance.

Freen turns taciturn when I look at her. She only looked at me as if she was mesmerized. Her hands reach for my hand under the water, making me cringe a bit. She pulls me closer to her and snakes her hands around my waist.

That's when I realized that she was cold—such a baby.

"Let's shower now; it's getting late," I tell her, but she shakes her head.

Freen buries her face on my neck, and I can feel her trembling in the cold. I hug her back and slowly go to the stair. I pull her up when she removes the embrace, and she hugs herself when we get out of the water.

Instead of wearing my cotton robe, I put it on Freen since she's shaking. She's going to have cold tomorrow, and that's for sure.

I turn off the air conditioner in my room and take Freen inside the bathroom. I turn on the warm shower and let her bathe herself.

When I close the door, I heave a sigh.

"How dare you try to swim when you can't handle the cold?" I yell at her from outside.

"I just want to wash my feet there, but then you pull me," she answers. I think she's pouting right now.

"Wash your feet on the pool? Are you mad? That's where I wash my body every night!" I fume.

"I'm sorry." Her voice shallows, making me guilty again.

"After you take a shower, get a rest. I'm going to the other bathroom."

I place the clothes I haven't used in the bed so if she comes out, she can change. What a nuisance.