Can we still continue?

July 15, 20XX

Freen didn't text me last night when I went home. And until now, she doesn't beep my inbox. According to Richie, she has been grounded for making a scene. We're already adults, yet they are treating her like this. Is it because she doesn't want to marry Richie?

"If I only knew earlier that she likes you, I should've avoided her in the first place," Richie says while packing his cloth. "Don't worry. I'm going to England today. I'll tell father that I don't want to marry her." He smiles at me and gently messes my hair.

Richie is a good man. My parents raised him well. If I were in his shoes, I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't give up Freen to anyone.

"What if they find someone to marry her? Are you going to help me?" I ask as I pout my lips.

Richie tilts his head as if he is thinking. "I have a house in Italy. You can run away with her and stay there."

I roll my eyes at his suggestion. Richie sits beside me and wraps his hand around me.

"I'm glad you find someone you love, but I'm also afraid, Becky." He purses his lips. "I'm willing to give up everything for you, but I'm not your real rival here."

I know. Freen is the daughter of the famous vintner and CEO; there are lots of men out there who will try to pursue her. If I am a man, they will allow me to marry her, but unfortunately, I'm not.

This is the first I blame my parents for giving birth to me as a girl. This is also the first time I blame myself for falling in love with a woman.

"I'm not underestimating your feelings for Freen, but what if that's only an infatuation? What if she's the only person you are comfortable with here, and that's why you think you're in love with her?" Richie speculates, but I shake my head.

"I know what I'm feeling, Richie. I know the difference between infatuation and love."

Richie nods and hugs me as he kisses my forehead.

"I'll be gone for a while. If ever she hurts you, don't hesitate to call me, okay? If you need help, I'm only one call away."

Freen see Richie off, and they both agree to cancel what our parents are trying to plan. They understand each other's situation and agree to be friends.

"Aren't you disappointed, Freen? He's hot as hell." The girl beside her says, causing Freen's eyes to roll.

Freen looks at me and motions to follow her, which I oblige. We go to the ranch and ride horses to the abandoned mansion. When I climb down the horse, Freen pulls me inside the mansion. She turns on the light and makes me sit on the couch covered in white fabric.

"Can you sit down? What happened?" I ask when she doesn't stop pacing back and forth in front of me.

"My father is starting to doubt our relationship. He mentioned last night that I was looking at you differently." She explains. "And then Richie told him he doesn't like me, so whatever they are planning won't work."

"What's the problem with that?"

"They wanted me to stay away from you. They told me to return to Canada if I didn't want to date boys. They also found out about my ex-girlfriend. Everything is out of control, Becky."

I stand up and pull Freen into a hug. She's panicking, and she needs something to calm down. I gently caress her back and hum a lullaby.

In this relationship, they are putting too much pressure on Freen while my father is letting me do whatever I want to. They want Freen to marry someone and have children since she is their only heir, while my family has Richie.

I heave a sigh before breaking the embrace. I look at Freen, who is frowning now. She's carrying too much burden, that's why she looks tired.

"Are you tired of your parents you nagging all the time?" I ask her.

"Yes."

"Then maybe you should obey them." I don't know what's got into me, and I say those words.

"Are you giving up without a fight, Becky?" she asks with a hint of disappointment. "Am I not worth fighting for?"

"We only know each other for less than a month, Freen. Even me is still confused if my feelings are genuine or if this is only an infatuation." I lie.

As much as I want to fight for us, Freen is disadvantaged. She's the only one who will get hurt if things get worse. I don't want to add another problem. I can admire her from afar.

"But we can continue this, right? We can date in secret."

I nod at her offer.

"Of course, but if the time comes, we must let go." I smile at her. "I can't play a losing game."