Syndrome

August 2, 20XX

"Freen, look at this." I show Freen a picture of a cute panda. I see it in the book. Freen chuckles and continues to read.

Today, we're in the public library of Phiman, but we're the only two of us here. There is no librarian or other reader. Freen invites me here to refresh her mind because life has been testing her lately.

I scan the shelf to find another book to read since I'm getting bored at night too. I want to read something. There's a section here about affairs and secret relationships, but I don't want to read any of it. I don't want to relate to the character because I might be hurt.

"What are you looking for?" Freen snakes her hand around my waist from behind and leans her chin on my shoulder.

I gently tap her hands and look again for a book to catch my attention.

"I'm looking for something romantic, but not a secret relationship. I hate lowkey." I slowly turn my head to kiss her cheek.

"Ms. Chankimha," someone calls Freen's name, causing her to stand up straight and fix her hair before turning to the person.

I'm slightly disappointed at what she did, but I know this is the only way to keep our relationship. If her family finds out, they will definitely send her back to Canada without me knowing.

"What?" Freen asks.

The person looks at us in confusion. "Your father is looking for you."

Freen nods and turns to me. She fakes a smile and pats my shoulder.

We went to her mansion to see her father lying on a bed. He looks so weak, making Freen worry.

"What happened, mom?" she asks.

"We were facilitating the event a while ago when he suddenly fainted. The doctor said he has chronic fatigue syndrome. He won't be able to do many activities from today forward." Her mom cries, and Mr. Chankimha gently caresses her hand.

Freen was taken aback. She doesn't know what to do. She sits beside her mother and holds her father another hand. Mr. Chankimha smiles when he sees her only daughter.

"Beautiful." The only word that comes out of his mouth. A smile escapes from my lips.

Now, I know that her father loves her so much that's why he's deciding for Freen's future. He wants the best for her only daughter.

"Ma'am, Mr. Armstrong is looking for you outside." The maid whispers to me, and I nod.

I'm about to excuse myself, but they are busy having their moment with Mr. Chankimha, so I leave without telling them.

I saw dad standing outside their mansion, looking worried. He smiles a little when he sees me and hugs me. Of course, he will be emotional after seeing his friend in that state.

"Aren't you going to visit him?" I ask.

Father shakes his head. "I can't see him as of now."

We went back to our house, and mom was preparing our meal. I don't know where the maids are, but she looks like she is enjoying her work.

"Did you let them rest?" dad asks, and mom nods.

They fear our maids will have fatigue syndrome, so they let them rest.

I sit on the left side of my father, aligned with my mother. The deafening silence filled the room once again. I'm not too fond of this kind of atmosphere. Everything is happening too fast.

"Becca, Freen's father, discovered you're secretly seeing her."

I almost choke at my mother's words. They don't look upset or what, but they look anxious.

"I'm not against you two dating, but Freen is the only daughter of Chankimha's. She's the only one who can produce an heir in their family," mom explains.

I know from the very beginning that her family is against it. That's why we tried to hide it from them, but I guess Phiman is really small. Whatever we do, Mr. Chankimha will know it.

"They are planning to marry her off to Saint's cousin named Blew. If Richie doesn't want to do it, they will find someone who can." dad smiles at me sadly. "I know that Richie backs out because he finds out you're in love with Freen. I'm proud of him," he says.

Mom reaches for dad's hand and gently squeezes it.

"Do you think Freen will agree to marry him?" I ask.

"I'm not sure, but Blew is one of her childhood friends. They are childhood sweethearts. Didn't she tell you about him before?" mom asks.

I shake my head and furrow my eyebrow. Does she have a childhood sweetheart? I thought it was Saint. Who the fvck is Blew?