Equestrian Race

August 1, 20XX

Saint and his sister came early in the morning. That's why people are gathering in the circle now. The Circle is where Phiman citizens are supposed to be during an event.

Charlotte is telling the truth. Saint's sister is like an angel. She looks like a soft and kind-hearted woman. They have the same smile, and people are mesmerized by their visuals, even Freen–who's looking at her like she is hypnotized or something.

"Her name is Baifern. It's been years since they last saw her. They said that she was with someone. Their cousin, I think."

"Saint's cousin is also hot like him. I wish I could meet him."

I want to cover my ears so I won't hear the mutters of other people in my surroundings. I'm only here since my father told me so. I'm not fond of gatherings, especially if many people are invited.

I sit beside my mother and lean on her shoulder since I get bored. I want to pull Freen and bring her into the abandoned mansion again to waste time, but everyone must participate.

"We will have various competitions this foundation month. On this day, four female equestrians from well-known families will partake in the race." Saint announces. He turns to me and smiles when our eyes meet.

"Charlotte Austin, Sarocha Chankimha, Pansa Vosbein, and Becca Armstrong," Saint calls the name of the participants, and we all stand up. "Please proceed to the shed to change your clothing and wear protective gear. You must also pick from this box what breed of horse you will use."

We all head in front of Saint, and one by one, we pick a paper containing the kind of horses we'll use.

I open mine, and it's an appaloosa. I'm a little disappointed since I want a thoroughbred. They are faster than any breed.

"Let me announce the breed that our equestrians get. Charlotte got a quarter horse, Pansa got an Arabian horse, Becca got an appaloosa, and Freen got a thoroughbred."

Everybody shrieks when they hear what Freen got. It's obvious who's going to win. Freen has been good at horse racing since she came here, and the breed she got is also the fastest. Saint also announces that the winner will receive a trophy, and they can exchange it for anything they want.

We all go to the shed Saint is talking and wear our protective gear, such as helmets, boots, and vests. Freen helps me to wear my helmet and checks if I'm wearing my vest correctly.

"Good luck to both of us," she whispers.

Charlotte and Pansa smirk when they see us. I know what they are thinking, but I ignore it. We have to stay lowkey so Mr. Chankimha won't know our actual relationship.

The race began, and all I could hear was the people shouting. I tried to focus on keeping my pace, but I was distracted by Freen's smooth way of running the horse. I couldn't help but smile.

I think this is why Mr. Chankimha is trying to marry her off to someone who has the same level as her. She's good at everything. She's a fast learner and can adjust to anything. She looks ravishing and infinitely different. She's one-of-a-kind—a true masterpiece.

"We have a winner!" Saint exclaims.

I smile throughout the race until I climb down on my horse.  The other jockeys pull the reins of our horses and return them to the stables.

I got third place, and Freen won first place. Everyone is chanting her name. Saint's sister calls her name and she immediately heads in her direction. They whisper to each other.

My smile fades when I feel the infuriating sensation running through my body. I don't know why, but I feel jealous, especially when I remember that she is Freen's first crush. Freen is looking up at her and seeing them smiling at each other breaks my heart.

I was about to go down the stage when Freen called my name with a smile on her face. She sprinted in my direction and gave me the trophy she had received a while ago.

"What's that?" I ask.

"Saint told us that we could exchange it for anything we wanted. Can I have you?" she asks.

My heart warms, causing my lips to smile. I gladly accept the trophy and purse my lips in shyness.

"You're the best trophy I want to have."

a/n: I accidentally deleted all my drafts in this story while organizing others, so I'm having difficulty updating twice daily. Also, my ideas got mixed because I'm currently writing a different story (for my school project), so please bare with me. I love you all! Thank you.