This is not what I signed up for

Everything is a mess now. The situation is out of our control. Every time Freen and I try to go out to somewhere, her father will look for her and make ask for something. It's like he knows everything that we do. Our parents don't talk anymore. And I think it's my fault. Although my parents, I don't think they should blame me for what happened. They know I don't do anything wrong if I'm not stepping on anyone.

"Mr. Armstrong. The Chankimha is looking for you." One of our maids says while we're eating in the dining area.

Father falls his utensils and wipes his lips using the napkin. He is about to stand up when my mom stops her and shakes her head, saying she doesn't need to go. Dad smiles at her and caresses her cheek before kissing her forehead.

"I'm fine. He can't do anything to me."

I followed dad to the front door and hid behind the pillars, so I could see if Mr. Chankimha had done something to him. But I am surprised to see Freen. She knelt, causing me to cover my mouth using my hands.

What the hell is she doing?

"I'm sorry, Mr. Armstrong. It's all my fault." Freen cried. "I ruined your friendship with my father because of my unwise decision."

Father tries to make her stand up, but she refuses. She is looking at the floor with her long dark hair covering her face.

"I want to spend my life with your daughter. I don't wish for one summer. I want a lifetime." she requests.

"Are you asking for my daughter's hand?" dad's voice becomes cold. "Look, Freen. I know how much you love each other, but my daughter is still young. She's still studying and has a dream to chase, unlike you, who have achieved many things already." Freen looks at my father after he says those words.

I want to intervene, but this is not only about us anymore. We ruin enough, and I don't want to add up my father's burden. As much as I want to hug Freen right now and tell her to go home, I can't. I don't have the courage to fight for you anymore. I'm not tired; I'm just afraid of the possibility.

I look at Freen again and am surprised when I see her looking in my direction. Her sad eyes are telling me something. It's like she's asking for help. She's telling me to fight for us.

I wipe my tears and shake my head before mouthing sorry. I turn my back, and my strides are heavy while returning to the dining area.

I've always dreamed of having someone who will love me so much that she's willing to give everything to me, but now I know why it's hard to find that kind of love. Not everyone is willing to sacrifice for someone's sake, but Freen is.

"What happened?" my mom asks when she sees me.

I hug her tight and sob. I can't take this anymore. I can't hurt Freen while others are hurting her too. This is not what I want. This is not what I signed up for.

"Becca?" I hear my father's footsteps going in my direction, but I don't let go of my embrace with my mom.

I'm not mad at him. I'm angry at myself.

"Who came?" my mom asks my dad.

"Freen. She apologized for everything that her father did." Dad explains while caressing my back. "She also asked for a second chance with Becca, but I chased her away."

"What? Why did you do that? So that's the reason why she's crying?" mom asked.

"Do you want to see her? I can call her right now." Dad asks, and I shake my head.

Later that evening, I was in front of my window to watch the moon. This is my last night in Phiman, and tomorrow, I'm going back to our house. My mom and dad allowed me since they knew how much this place hurt me.

"Becca." I heard a whisper coming from the outside, causing me to look.

It was Freen. She's waving at me with a big smile on her face. I didn't know if I was hallucinating, but I could see her motioning me to come down, which I did.

I escaped the house and went near her. Her smile was from ear to ear, and I didn't know what that meant. My eyes started to well, and she immediately wiped them.

"I know what you're feeling, and I understand. The reason why you ran earlier was that you didn't want to hurt me more, right?" she asked while caressing my cheek. "I know how much you love me."

I hugged her after she said those words. I didn't know what I did to give me someone like her. She's perfect.

"Let's go to the abandoned mansion. Before we leave this place, let's create a wonderful memory." She kissed my eyes and held my hands.