End of us

August 5, 20XX

"I'm sorry for the sudden meeting with you," Mr. Chankimha says. He looks well today, but according to his wife, he's not allowed to do any vigorous activity. "Becca, I'm sorry if we can't proceed to your brother and Freen's wedding."

I don't know why he's apologizing to me. Is he being sarcastic right now?

I look at Freen, who's busy eating and can't even look at me. What happened to her the last three days? We didn't see each other, and it was hellish for me when she was so calm and looked like she didn't care about anything.

"Freen agrees to marry Blew instead." Mr. Chankimha smiles at me.

"Sorry, I'm late. I ran errands for Saint. Did I miss something?" A way taller guy than us enters the dining area. He kisses Freen's cheek and sits beside her.

Freen didn't react and focused on her food. She's been so quiet, but no one notices it except me.

What did they do to you, Freen? Are they pressuring you again? I want to ask her those questions, but I get discouraged when she stands up and walks out.

"She's getting the gift for Blew." Mrs. Chankimha says.

"For me? It's fine. Besides, seeing Freen in a minute is the best gift that I have received."

I roll my eyes at his cringy words. If I'm not mistaken, you're not in love with her. You're using her to get the money from Chankimha because your dad's company is bankrupt. Freen's father doesn't know it since he doesn't care about people's backgrounds. He wants an heir.

Freen comes back with a small box in her hand. She hands it to Blew, and he excitedly opens it. It's a ring—an engagement ring, to be specific.

Wait, what? They make Freen propose to this gold digger. Are her parents insane? Freen is one of the most respected ladies in Phiman, yet they order her to propose to him.

"What's this?" Blew seems anxious after seeing the ring and even her parents.

"Why are you giving back a ring he gave you?" Her father asks.

A smile escaped from my lips when I solved the puzzle.

"I changed my mind. I can't marry someone I don't love, dad. I'm not fond of arranged marriage or what." Freen raises her brows. "I'm going back to Canada tomorrow."

I stand up, causing everyone to look at me. Freen looks at me with a blank expression. Her expressive eyes are now dead.

"I have something to tell you, Freen." I tread in her direction and pull her.

Instead of taking her to the garden, I force her to climb the horse and take her to the abandoned mansion. Throughout the ride, Freen didn't react or say something. It was as if her lips were sealed.

"What do you mean you're going back to Canada? You still have a month left!" I yell at her the moment she sits on the couch covered in white fabric.

"What did you tell me before?" she asks without changing her blank expression. "If the time comes, you will let go. I don't want to suffer alone. I don't want to marry someone I don't even know." She stands up and looks at me closer.

I can feel her harsh breathing. She's fuming mad right now, as if I'm the one who told her to marry that guy.

"You want to go back? Then go! I won't stop you, then." I pushed her out of the mansion, but she didn't flinch.

Freen looks at the floor and bites her lips. "Are you sure you won't miss me?" she asks.

"I've been alone for three whole days, Freen. You didn't bother to chat or call me. You didn't reply to my messages. Of course, I fvcking miss you!" I scream at her. "But I lived for more than 20 years without you. I will be okay." I turn my back and heave a deep sigh.

Can I leave her? Can I live without her?

I was about to leave when Freen grabbed my arms and hugged me. It was tight but comfortable. I felt safe in her arms. I wanted to hug her back but didn't want to let my guard down.

If I didn't let go today, I would still do it a month from now. I was right. This is a losing game. Whatever decision I'd make, I would still lose. No one would win it except for her parents.

"Can you come with me? Let's run away together. I'd do anything for you, babe."

So, that's what she wanted to hear. She wanted me to come with her and make a life without anyone judging us. It was a good idea, though, but a wrong one.

"I'm still a student, Freen. As much as I want to go with you, I can't, and you fvcking know that. As much as I want to be with you every day, there are many eyes everywhere that will judge us. As much as I want to prove to your parents that I love you, I can't because they never let me!" I say in frustration.

Freen hugged me tighter as I sobbed. I hate this feeling. This infuriating sensation me was about to burst out, and if that happened, I don't know what I could do to her parents.