Girlfriend

June 23, 20XX

I don't have a choice but to join my parents in the vineyard. I pick all the grapes that I think are ripe and put them in my basket.

"Becca, don't pick it. Use that garden shear." Mom scolds me, and I nod.

"What kind of idiot are you?" Freen laughs and holds my hand. She puts down my basket and guides my hand to cut the shoot.

I look at her and notice how gorgeous she is. She's not wearing makeup, but she shines under bright daylight.

"That's how you cut it, understand?" she asks and messes my hair.

Freen follows her parents and helps them to carry their baskets.

What happened to her overnight? She looks like an angel now. She even helps everyone.

"Stop staring at Freen like that," Saint says while looking for ripe grapes. "She's a great kid. She was on her period yesterday. That's why she acted that way." Saint winks before passing me.

Throughout the vineyard tour and picking grapes, we finally sat on the bench in the garden. I wipe the dirt on my boots and remove my gloves.

This day is so tiring. I need some beauty rest.

"I was looking for you all over the place." Freen sits beside me and offers newly washed grapes. "It tastes sweet. Don't worry." She chuckles and looks at the sky while munching the seedless fruit.

"How long have you been here?" I ask.

"I grew up here, but when I graduated, I went to Canada to work. It's been three years since I last visited here. After summer, I'm going back." She smiles at me and munches another grape.

"You're just here for the summer?" I ask again.

"Yes, then after this, I don't think I will come back again."

I turn to her. Why does her voice sound sad? I want to ask her more, but I'm afraid she will find me annoying. Although I want to know more about her, this isn't the right time since we are both tired.

"What about you? Are you staying here for good?" Freen brakes the silence.

"I don't know. My parents are moving from one place to another. I think we are here only for summer," I answer, making her nod.

Freen stretches her hand and puts her head on my shoulder, causing me to flinch because of surprise. We're not that close for her to lean on me, but I don't mind.

Her head is light, and I like her being this close to me. I feel comfortable with her already though she looked like an angry bird yesterday.

I close my eyes and feel the cool breeze against my face. It's refreshing, and I feel so alive.

"Have you ever been in love?"

My eyebrows lift at Freen's sudden question.

"I've never been in love. It's a distraction, especially since I'm still studying," I answer. I feel her nod her head. "What about you? Did Charlotte tell the truth last night? You're in a healing process?" I ask.

"Yeah, I lost the person I love the most." Freen sits down and chuckles a bit. "That's the reason why I'm here. I'm hiding from her."

"Her?"

"Yes, I'm into women. You won't ask why right?" she asks, and I shake my head.

There's no problem if she likes women, but she's gorgeous. She can pull ten men if she wants to. How come she's here hiding from her ex-girlfriend?

"If you don't mind me asking, what did you do to her?" I ask.

Freen laughs nervously without looking at me. She swings her feet and bites her lower lip.

"I asked too much. I told her to be like this, to be like that. I asked her to be someone she's not."

I can feel the guilt in Freen's voice. It's like she wants to say sorry but is afraid. She wants to do something but can't.

"Then why don't you face her and ask forgiveness?" I suggest.

"That's not easy." Freen stands up and heaves a sigh. Her eyes suddenly widen when she sees something near the garden doorway. She pulls my hand, and we run to the nearest tree and hide.

"What the hell are you doing?" I ask.

I'm leaning on the tree while she's in front of me. We're facing each other and very close that our faces almost touch.

"Shut up; she's here." Freen covers my mouth, causing me to knit my brows.

I can't breathe. What the hell?

"If you resist again, I'll kiss you." Freen threatens me, so I stop moving.

I haven't had my first kiss yet. Is she a good kisser?

I shook my head to remove the dirty thoughts inside my head, but I was shocked when Freen pressed her lips to mine.

My eyes widen, and I don't know what to do. Should I respond? Should I deepen it? But I don't know how.

Freen only pressed her lips but didn't move.

"Freen?" Someone calls her name, so she breaks the kiss. Freen licks her lips before turning to the girl.

I also look at who she is. She's taller than Freen and me and has short hair. She wears a plain white v-neck shirt tucked into her faded high-waist jeans.

"Sorry, did I interrupt you?" the girl asks.

I'm about to speak when Freen pulls me by my waist closer to her.

"Not actually. By the way, she's my girlfriend." Freen smiles.

I look at her in surprise.

When did I become her girlfriend?