Homophobic

July 14, 20XX

It's been a week since Freen and I started dating without anyone knowing. Richie didn't return to England yet because our father needed him here.

Freen and I always sneaked out at midnight to watch the moon and had a late-night talk with each other. We'd known only for almost a month, but I felt like I'd known her all my life. She's not easy to read, but she told me everything from childhood to the present. She told me all the past relationships she had, including puppy love. She didn't date boys after being heartbroken by a guy named Shawn.

Freen was only 21 years old back then when they started dating. She didn't tell her parents since she was still a student. The guy was famous and good at academics. She thought that being his girlfriend would be the best thing that would happen to her until the guy wanted all of her. She tried to harass her, and fortunately, QK was there to save her. That's when she met her. They fell in love, but things didn't work out for them.

"Freen, you've been so busy these past few days. How can you find a boyfriend in that state?" Mr. Chankimha jokes while cutting the pork on his plate.

We're here at Freen's family mansion. As usual, another dinner gathering with them. Their wine business is getting popular because of the demand from different countries, so we're here to celebrate it.

"Don't tell me you want to be a vintner and a professor all your life? You're our only daughter. Don't you want to give us a grandchild?" Her mom adds, but I think Freen is not happy hearing those.

They should not decide if Freen wants to produce an heir. 

"Saint is too high to reach. Don't tell me you're waiting for him?" Freen's father jokes again, but this time she doesn't stay still.

"Does it matter if I want to stay single until my 30s? I'm not ready to bear a child yet. I don't like any boys, so please stop pressuring me."

The deafening silence fills the room. No one dares to speak, but Richie breaks it.

"Freen is still young and perhaps wants to enjoy her life." He smiles at everyone, and they nod.

I turn to Freen, who knits her brows. She cuts her food irritatedly and puts them in her mouth. I look at my food and swallow the lump in my throat.

"Hello, everyone!" We are all startled when Charlotte comes to the dining room with a girl who's shyly following her. "This is my girlfriend, Engfa." Charlotte is smiling widely while the people in the dining room are not smiling, except Freen and me.

"Hi, Engfa. My name is Freen." She greets them with a smile, so Engfa smiles too as if someone pulls out a thorn in her.

Charlotte and Engfa excuse themselves and go to the garden. Mr. Chankimha heaves a sigh while slowly shaking his head. I can say that he's disappointed.

"It's fine with me for you not to have a baby, Freen. But don't be like her. That's disgusting."

I lowered my head when he said those words. I'm hurt. There's nothing wrong with loving someone of the same gender. Why can't they understand it?

"Don't worry, Richie is a guy," Dad assures and laughs.

During the dinner, Freen and I are quiet. I don't like the atmosphere or the topic they are discussing. They keep saying that Richie and Freen will make a great couple. They want an Armstrong and Chankimha wedding.

"When are you going back, Richie?" Mr. Chankimha asks.

"September 1. I need to go back to work. My company needs me." Richie smiles at him, and he nods.

"Freen is also going back to Canada on September 1. You can leave together." He suggests.

"He's going to England; I'm going to Canada. That's two different countries, dad." Freen interferes.

"Richie's company is a conglomerate. He has a media company in Canada. And that's where he's going to go on September 1." Dad says.

"What a small world," I whisper.

Freen heaves a sigh and stands up. "I'm done. Excuse me."

Mr. Chankimha is about to call his daughter, but his wife stops him. I know where Freen is coming from. They keep on pushing her to Richie when they already know that Freen isn't interested.

"Dad, maybe you should stop forcing her to do something she doesn't want." Richie shakes his head and motions for me to stand up.

Richie takes my hand, and we walk out of the dining area.  We go to the garden where Charlotte and Engfa are comforting Freen. She's crying while hugging Charlotte. Richie frowns when he sees her in that state. He's a good man, and I know he wants the best for Freen. That's why he's acting like that.

"I don't know how to stop them, Becca. I tried to talk to dad last time but he didn't listen. I told him I didn't want to marry Freen, not because I didn't like her. It's because she didn't like me. I don't want to love someone who can't love me back." Richie is looking at them while saying those words.

"I'm sorry, brother. Freen doesn't like you because she likes me."