emotions

After running to the store for her father, Meckenzy-Jane returned home with a few bags of groceries.

"You need help?" She looked up and smiled at the rookie, Lou Williams.

"There's a cake in the passenger seat, Lou. Thank you so much." He opened the door and carefully picked up the cake before closing the door.

They walked through the front door and made their way to the kitchen in awkward silence.

"My dad is outside, most likely. It looks like everyone's here." She opened the fridge and placed the cake in it before pulling out the pitchers of tea and lemonade.

"You think I should make more?" She twisted her mouth and looked at Lou as he poured himself a glass of tea.

"Definitely." Smiling proudly, she winked at him and walked outside to greet her father.

"Everything's set, daddy. The cake is in the fridge." She looked around and smiled at the players before letting her father grab her hand.

"Dad, everyone's having a great time! I'm glad we decided to do this." He nodded and looked down at his beaming daughter.

"I'm glad I have you with me. Still my princess." He kissed her forehead and let her go, allowing her to greet the rest of the team.

"You're coach Cheeks' daughter?" She nodded and looked around for the man who destroyed her underwear.

"That's me. How's everything so far?" They nodded in approval and she smiled before walking away.

"I'm glad you're enjoying yourselves!" MJ sighed, placed her sunglasses over her eyes, and sat on the lounge chair on the deck.

After a few minutes of impatiently glancing around the large backyard, that familiar cologne suddenly interrupted her thoughts.

"You looking for me?" She jumped and laughed as Allen sat next to her.

"I was, actually. Y'know, my dad would have a fit if he knew what happened earlier."

"That's why he isn't gonna find out." She raised her sunglasses and furrowed her eyebrows in confusion.

"Meet me in my bedroom in five minutes. I don't want it to seem too suspicious. And take the backstairs." She got up and walked inside coolly, hiding the excitement.

She couldn't believe all of this was happening to her. Allen Iverson, THE Allen Iverson, was flirting with her.

"Where are you off to?"

"I need to call Bea. She's dying to find out what's happening." MJ kissed her father's cheek before running upstairs.

She closed the door behind her and rushed into the bathroom to freshen up.

A light spritz of perfume on her neck, brushing away of any flyaways, a quiet prayer for strength.

She stepped out of her bathroom and walked over to her window seat.

She sat down and held her stuffed panda bear close to her chest while looking out the window.

All of the what-ifs started to settle in.

What if he doesn't come up here?
What if he's just playing with me?
What if I'm just overreacting?

She shook her head and sighed, not realizing someone was in her room.

Allen touched her shoulder and she jumped, earning a laugh from him.

She immediately started blushing and patted the spot beside her. He sat down and looked out the window with her, taking in the view of the pond across the street.

"It's so beautiful to look at. I usually sit here whenever I can't sleep and just think." She looked at him and bit her bottom lip as he licked his lips.

"Think about what?" She laughed softly and looked down at her crossed legs.

"My mother, mainly. She abandoned me when I was ten. She, uh, had a drinking problem." He nodded and looked at her in admiration.

"Damn. That must've been hard." He watched her lips curl up into a slightly smile and couldn't fight the smile forming on his face.

"My older sister decided to stay with her while I chose daddy. My mom told me to never call her for anything ever again. I mean, I was ten. Why would you tell a ten year old that?"

She scoffed and laughed bitterly before finally looking at Allen. "I'm sorry about that. I really wish I knew when to shut up."

He shook his head and grabbed her left hand, squeezing it before smiling again.

"Nah, it's fine. It's good to get it out of your system. If you want, we can do this more often." He pulled his phone out and she laughed softly as he looked at her with hopeful eyes.

"Allen Iverson, are you asking for my number?" He laughed and nodded before she stood up to give him hers.

"I'm more than happy to give it to you." They exchanged numbers and stared at each other for a few seconds before she quickly kissed his cheek.

"I'll see you outside." She winked and walked out of the room with a huge smile in her face.