close my eyes

"Daddy, I'm pregnant." MJ looked up at the mirror and fixed her oversized sweater nervously.

She stood in front of that mirror for an hour, trying to figure out how to tell her father the truth.

She was growing more every week and was showing more odd symptoms, making Mo suspicious.

"Dinner's ready, baby." Maurice nodded towards the kitchen and extended his hand towards his daughter.

"You want to talk?" She shook her head and made her way downstairs, grabbing his hand before following him.

"Everything smells good. I can't wait to eat." She cracked a smile and started to stack food up onto her plate before sitting at the table.

Maurice looked at her and laughed softly before joining her. "Is that enough food?"

Meckenzy laughed and nodded as she watched him pour lemonade into her favorite glass.

She was kind of suspicious of his actions. Her favorite food and drink was made for her and he had an odd look on his face.

"Something wrong, dad?" He looked down and sighed as he scratched the back of his head.

"Are you expecting?" She furrowed her eyebrows and sat her fork down gently, suddenly feeling nauseous.

"Daddy, hear me out." The look on his face made the tears immediately fall without hesitation.

He nodded and reached out to touch her hand to comfort her.

"Don't cry, princess. Daddy's here." She looked up at him and stood up to give him a hug.

She needed him more than ever.

"I'm sorry, daddy. I didn't mean to disappoint you." He shook his head, closing his eyes as she started to calm down.

"I'm not disappointed. Why didn't you tell me, though? Did you think I would get mad?" She nodded and finally looked up at him. He kissed her forehead and grabbed her hands carefully, hoping she knew it was truly okay.

"I'm gonna be a grandpa. Of course I'm happy, MJ." She cracked a smile and let out a breath she had been holding.

"I've known for a while. He told me, because he was worried about you. He wasn't sure if you were taking your vitamins or getting enough rest." Her heart fluttered as she thought about Allen. She wanted him back in her life, but didn't want to get hurt again.

After dinner, MJ decided to call Allen for the sake of their unborn child.

Her hands were trembling and her stomach was in knots.

"Is everything okay with my baby?"

Meckenzy laughed and looked down at her stomach in admiration.

"We're fine. I was just calling to see how you're doing."

"I've been good. I miss you, Meckenzy. I miss you a lot."

"I miss you too, Allen. I'm sorry I haven't been calling you. I just couldn't do it."

"You don't have to explain yourself to me. I understand."

She wiped a tear away and closed her eyes as he stayed quiet. She didn't want to alert him, but he should hear how bad he hurt her.

"Allen, you really hurt me. I wanted to hurt you back, but I can't. I'm not a cheater. I'm not like you. I just want us to be okay again."

"I hear you. It's gonna take a lot of healing. We gon be okay."

"We'll be okay."

"You have an appointment tomorrow. Can I go with you? I haven't seen it yet."

"Um, yeah. It's at Dr. Taurasi. You know him. It starts at 12:00, so meet me there at 11:45."

"I got you. I'll be there on time. I promise."

She hated that word. Promise.

"I have to go, Allen. We'll see you tomorrow." She simply hung up and sat her phone on her pillow before standing up.

She sat in her usual window seat and stared at the pond as the tears continued to roll down her face.