ready or not

November 20, 2005

Allen has been calling MJ nonstop, hoping and praying she would pick up.

Ignoring him was harder than she expected. The fact that kept sending her gifts made her father a bit curious.

He had no idea who they were from, so he respected his daughter's privacy and waited for her to talk to him.

Ever since her fallout with Allen, she hasn't attended any home games.

Tonight, she decided to not let him affect her anymore. She wanted to get out and live her life.

"You ready, MJ?" She nodded at her father and smiled before slipping on her coat.

"Let's go, daddy. You have a game to win." They walked out of the house and made their way to his car.

He opened the door for her and helped her in before getting in the driver's seat.

"You seem distracted, MJ. You sure you want to go now and not later?"

"No, dad. I'm fine." She smiled at her dad and put on her seatbelt before relaxing. She closed her eyes and sighed, feeling anxious about seeing Allen.

When Meckenzy-Jane made her way to the team shop, she spotted one of her classmates and close friend holding a jersey in her hand.

"Leeza! Hey!" Leeza looked up and smiled at MJ before walking over to her.

"Hey, girl! You look so beautiful!" They shared a laugh and a hug before walking to the memorabilia section of the store.

"How are you today?" MJ sighed and stared at an Allen Iverson bobble head with tears on the verge of falling.

"I'm okay. I feel stupid, but I'm okay. I mean, I did fuck and fall in love with a married man."

"I'm sorry I even asked you that. Come on. Let's get out of here." Leeza placed the jersey back on the rack and escorted her friend out of the store.

"You hungry?" MJ shook her head and sighed as Leeza stared at the options in front of her.

"You sure you don't want anything? Nachos with jalapeños? Funnel cake fries? Cheesesteak?" MJ finally looked up and nodded with a smile, making her friend laugh.

"I'll take nachos and a coke." The cashier nodded and handed her the food as Leeza paid for it.

They thanked the guy and started walking towards the section of their seats.

"Have you spoken to him lately?" MJ shook her head and got comfortable in her seat before taking a sip of her coke.

"Do you plan on talking to him tonight?" She simply looked down and played with her nachos.

"Go see him. I know he's miserable. You saw how he played the other night. For the sake of the team and fans, please straighten him out." MJ laughed and looked up as her father stepped onto the court.

He looked up and waved at his daughter and her friend before looking back at his coaching staff.

MJ and Leeza continued to talk and eat as the Oklahoma City Hornets started their warm ups.

"There's Chris Paul!" As Leeza gawked at him, MJ spotted Allen sitting with her father on the bench.

"There he is. Looking gorgeous as hell." Leeza followed her eyes and sighed before looking back at her.

"I know what to do. I'll get Mr. C out of here and you just get Allen to somewhere private."

"What are you gonna do?"

"I got this. Don't worry." Leeza winked and pulled her phone out of her pocket.

She got up and walked over towards the trash can, throwing their things away.

MJ watched her friend closely as she spoke to whoever was on the phone. Leeza gave her a thumbs up and hung up before making her way back to her seat.

"Done, done, done, and done." She pointed at the two men and watched as one of his assistant coaches pulled Allen aside.

The rest of the team came out and distracted Maurice, causing MJ to laugh before hugging Leeza.

"I love you! I owe you!" She quickly made her way towards the tunnel with her pass in her hand.

She spotted Allen standing outside of the locker room and he looked up with hopeful eyes and she nodded towards the doors before stepping into her father's office.

It was connected to the locker room, giving them easy access to see each other.

"You actually want to talk to me?" She rolled her eyes and glared at him before softening up her face with a smile.

"Of course I do. I missed you." She stepped closer to him and wrapped her arms around his neck.

They stared at each other and shared a soft kiss, savoring the feeling of each others lips.

"I missed you too, my brown sugar."

"Your brown sugar, huh?" MJ let go of Allen and tucked her hair behind her ears before looking up at her seething father.

"Daddy, I can explain."