only you

October 10, 2005

Meckenzy-Jane hadn't heard from Allen since she shared her most prized possession with him.

Her classmate and friend, Leeza, knew about their budding relationship and told her to follow her heart, not knowing she lost her virginity to him that same weekend.

The moment MJ told her, she had a five minute meltdown and cussed MJ out for a minute.

Preseason starts for the Sixers tomorrow and she knew she had to see him.

She had no choice.

"Are you ready for tomorrow, daddy?" She watched as he sat in the seat next to her and waited for his answer.

"Yeah, pumpkin. I see something in them. I know they can make a playoff run this season." MJ nodded and took a sip of her warm tea.

"Have you heard about Allen and his wife?" She shook her head and exhaled sharply to get rid of the anxiety.

"He's getting a divorce." Her jaw dropped and he laughed at her reaction.

"They've only been married for three years. Isn't that something?" She agreed, but was secretly excited.

He was going through with it and it was all for her.

"Excuse me, daddy. I have to make a phone call, but I'll be back."

She ran upstairs and quickly picked up her phone.

Before she could even call him, he called her.

She immediately answered it and smiled once she heard his voice.

"Allen, I heard the news. Are you okay?"

"I'm good, baby. I just wanted to call and tell you that we shouldn't see each other for a while. We can still talk, but we can't hang out. There's a lot of heat on me and I don't want you involved in this."

"I can deal with that. As long as I get to hear your voice daily, I'm fine."

"I'm sorry, baby. Just know I wasn't avoiding you. I was dealing with some things."

"You don't owe me an explanation. Just know I'll be thinking about you everyday and I hope this divorce doesn't get nasty. I'll see you tomorrow and try not to jump on you."

He laughed and she immediately felt tears roll down her cheeks.

"I'll see you then. I'm gonna miss you, my brown sugar."

"I'm gonna miss you too, Allen."

He hung up and she looked at her phone before tossing it onto her bed.

She trudged over to her window seat and stared at the pond across the street.

The tears were falling endlessly as she thought about the man that drove her wild.

She was heartbroken over how sad he sounded and that she couldn't see him for a while.

The only time she could have any physical contact with him would be at their home games.

After a few minutes of crying silently, she finally pulled herself together and made her way downstairs.

"Your eyes are red. Are you okay?" She nodded as her father pulled her in for a hug.

"I'm just tired, dad. I'm gonna take a nap." He kissed the top of her head before she made her way upstairs.

-

I did that. ;(