Chapter Ten

I phoned my mom after Alec left

I phoned my mom after Alec left. I waited until my erratically beating heart calmed and began beating in its normal rhythm.

His caresses and raunchy questions had abso-fucking-lutely nothing to do with my heart going haywire.

It had nothing to do with me needing to take a moment and regain normal breathing patterns.

Nope.

Not at all.

I just needed a moment and a clearer mind before I spoke to my mom. I mean, who doesn't, right?

I asked mom about the happenings at Strand Avenue, and it turns out it's almost like a fundraiser slash fair to raise money for our local church and homeless shelter. The road will be closed off and business owners will set up stalls along the street.

There will be plenty of games along the beach for adults and kids alike. Something to make it fun for families.

After much deliberation, including but not limited to a shit load of groans and muttered fucks. I finally decided to go.

It lasted for like an hour. I, of course, covered my face, laying on my bed with my towel open and continued cursing into the silence of my empty bedroom.

But it had nothing, seriously nothing, to do with Alec.

After giving myself a solid scolding for allowing him to affect me like that. I managed to get up off of my bed and rummaged through my closet in search of something other than denim.

I ran my fingers across the fabrics of multiple dresses until I came across a dress with pockets that was once my favorite. I cherished it once upon a time.

I wiggled into said black, backless sundress with sunflowers on it.

I used to love sunflowers.

I heard somewhere once that sunflowers would turn to each other on cloudy days to share their light but a simple google search revealed it isn't scientifically possible.

It's an absurd idea which I loved. It touched my heart and made me love the yellow flowers which follow the rising and setting sun. I wanted Alec and I to be like sunflowers on the cloudy, dark days in our relationship.

I wanted us to share our light on the tough days and support each other and be there for each other during taxing times when the sun didn't shine.

But like I've said sunflowers don't do that just like Alec and I never did. We tried but sometimes things in life are too daunting.

Anyhow, that's in the past. No point in dwelling on it anymore.

I pushed my thoughts aside, applied some light make up and tied my hair into a high ponytail. I got in my car and drove, keeping my head as clear as I possibly can. I was fortunate enough to get an open parking spot in front of a department store right at the end of Tybrisa Street.