Chapter Thirteen

I drive away from Sarah's with a newfound energy

Apologizing to her for my childish behavior and careless words seven years ago is rejuvenating.

I feel alive. Like new life has been breathed into me.

Yeah, okay. I'm taking it too far. It feels good to make right with my past. Not so good it feels like new life has been breathed into me but good.

I never thought I'd get the opportunity to make amends with her 'cause in life, your high school best friend isn't always your friend til the end.

Not like how you pictured.

People change and grow a part, sometimes severing and weakening the strongest bond between inseparable people.

Some friendships aren't meant to last a lifetime.

It hurts worse than any breakup you'll ever experience, and you'll mourn the death of your friendship worse than the end of any relationship.

More so if you're the one who said some things but ultimately the sun will shine again.

You learn to move past the things you've done and said. You learn to live with it.

At least I did.

I made amends with my past on my own. I forgave myself. To me that was the most important. Clearly, I owed her an apology, too and it feels good to finally give her one.

My next stop is Tracey's. She didn't deserve my outburst in her bar. She didn't deserve to be collateral damage in the war I, alone seem to be battling.

It's time I realize I ain't battling a war.

What happened between Alec, and I should stay between us. I shouldn't be a bitch and go after his friends. What am I saying, they used to be our friends.

"Telana," I hear the slight edge to her usually sweet voice.

"I'm not here to cause any more trouble," I smile sheepishly, taking small steps towards the bar. "I'm here to apologize for the things I've said and done last night."

I pull out a barstool and sit. "Want anything to drink?" Tracey offers with an imperceptible smirk.

"I'm good," I chuckle, resting my arms against the bar and resting my chin on my left hand. "I think I need a break from Satan's juice."

"Satan's juice?" She smiles, tucking a loose lock of her ash-blonde hair behind her ear.

"Yes, it turns me into a demon, biting people's heads off."

"That's descriptive," she leans forward, her gold locket dangling and banging against her light pink dress. "But it's all the pent-up anger you've been harboring. You can't blame the liquor."

"You're right," I admit.

"Alec told me what's been going on," she walks around the bar, pulling out a barstool next to me.