Chapter Thirty-Three

“I love you,” Alec whispers in my ear, his breath tickling me

I love you,” Alec whispers in my ear, his breath tickling me.

“I love you, too,” I rest my cheek against his chest, tightening my arms around his neck as we sway together.

Somewhere Only We Know by Keane plays softly in the background. “We didn’t dance to this song,” I mumble against his warm chest.

“What was that?”

“Oh, nothing,” I peer at him through my lashes, getting sucked into his alluring gaze. 

He squeezes me tighter, his love enveloping me and filling me with warmth. In his arms I feel cherished, loved, safe. 

“You’re my wife,” he says, kissing the top of my head.

“You’re the first boy I ever loved,” echoes eerily around us, blending in with the music. I pull back, twinkling lights surrounding us in a soft, hazy glow. I shake off the confusion, focusing back on Alec.

“I’ll always be your wife, Alec,” I lean in, softly touching my lips against his in a sensual kiss.

His soft tongue dances with mine. I groan into the kiss as he abruptly ends it and I open my eyes.

All around us is pictures, moments if you will, of our time together. Arguing, crying, hugging, kissing, laughing. Good and bad memories combined into one.

I stare at one in particular. The day we got married. I’ve never seen myself so happy. Tears brim my eyes, the wind blowing my dress. My eyes shine with so much appreciation, so much love for the man holding my hands.

The picture before me blurs, my heart hammering dangerously against my chest.

“I was fortunate enough to find my soulmate at such an early age,” the familiar words bellow all around me. “I can’t believe I get to stand before you today and vow to stick by your side through better or worse,” I spin in a circle, searching for the source. “No matter what storm we find ourselves in, we’ll weather the storm together,” my voice booms.

My insides twist, my breaths come out in short sputters, sweat lines my brow. I try to scream, “make it stop,” but it comes out in a hoarse whisper.

I frantically clutch my chest, searching all around me for the one person who can make me feel safe but he’s nowhere to be seen.

“Alec,” I attempt to scream but his name rolls off my tongue in a terrified croak.

Tears roll down my cheeks, a stabbing pain of loss infiltrating my fear-riddled chest. I squeeze my eyes shut, hoping to put an end to the onslaught of tears.

Loving arms wrap around me, embracing me and it’s him.

My eyes snap open and I’m met with a white ceiling. Tears run into my hairline and a heaviness settles in my heart. I wipe away the wetness, swallowing down the lump in my gullet.