Apologies mean nothing to the dead

—————

—————

It was the day after I was almost sacrificed.

After Elijah left I couldn't even bring myself to get out of bed. Everything was falling apart.
I learned that Kol also left. The only people I had left were Nik, Rebekah, and Tibbles.

I continued to stare at my ceiling, not even looking to the door when I hear a knock.

"Angel...I brought you breakfast." The gentle voice of my soulmate echos through the room.

"Not hungry." I mumble.

I listen to the sound of shuffling as it grew closer to the bed.

Nik sits down, gently combing his fingers through my hair.

"What are you feeling? Sad? Angry? Tired?" He asks concerned.

"I don't know. I'm sorry." I say, my voice cracking lightly.

"You don't have to be sorry my love. I will be with you through anything you feel, whether you know what it is or not." He comforts.

I nod my head as my eyes flood with tears.

"Oh, angel." Nik sympathizes, pulling me into a warm hug. I clutch onto his shirt, my body wracking with sobs.

I cry so hard that I can't catch my breath.

"I ca- I cant b-breath." I say in between cries.

"Shhhhh. It's okay. Listen to my heartbeat." He soothes.

I hiccup, trying to stop my sobs.

The side of my tear stained face presses against his chest, listening to the rhythmic thud.

Nik places my fingers on his palm.

"Tap every time you hear a beat." He instructs.

I follow his advice, tapping my finger against his palm.

My tears slow as my breathing evens out, my loud sobs turning into gentle hiccups.

"Do you know what you're feeling now?" He asks, guiding me to look up with his hand on my chin.

I take a second to let my eyes wander his face. Noticing every perfect detail and saving it in my brain.

My mind only screaming one emotion that could truly answer his question. "Love."

His lips twitch into a small smile.

I watch as his eyes flicker between my eyes and lips. His hand reaches up and tangles itself in my hair, gently guiding me closer by the nape of my neck.

I lean in, our noses brushing.

Nik slowly leans in, connecting our lips in a gentle kiss.

As our lips dance together, the kiss slowly starts to get more heated.