Loss

————

————

The car trip was long.

Very long.

In fact we hadn't even reached our destination yet.

My hand had yet to stop gripping Nik's.
Though my tears had run out, the pain was still there.

I was currently listening to Damon and Stefan's phone call with Jeremy. They put him on speaker so I didn't really have much of a choice.

"You did what?" Damon questions through the cellphone.

"I took her to the hospital. When you find your sister unconscious, you call 911." Jeremy explains.

Elena had fainted when she got home, they presumed it was because she hit her head at Nik's house.

"Not when you have a parade of vampires at your disposal!" Damon scolds.

"Every remaining Original is gonna want Elena dead to stop Alaric. She's a sitting duck in there." Stefan states.

"Well, Meredith wants to keep her here for observation." Jeremy says.

"Jeremy, get Elena home, we're on our way." Damon says before hanging up the phone.

"Have I told you lately how much I appreciate you not being the dumbest brother on Earth?" Damon sighs, turning his attention to Stefan

Stefan chuckles.

"Can I ask you guys something?" I speak, my voice hoarse.

They both turn to me, a bit surprised since this is the first time I'd spoken since we left.

"Sure." Damon answers.

"How did you do it? The only way to kill him is with the white oak stake, but he's gone. I just don't understand how." Tears leak from my eyes as my fingers brush against Nik's face.

"We had Bonnie cast a spell. She couldn't kill him for good, only desiccate him. Like he's been daggered." Stefan explains gently.

My attention was fully perked up as I heard him speak.

"So he's not gone forever? I could wake him up?" I ask eagerly.

"You'd need a really strong witch and-"

"Hey Stef, how about you don't give her step by step instructions on how to wake him up?" Damon cuts him off.

"I thought you were trying to rebuild our friendship? Change your mind already?" I question him sharply.

"Believe it or not Ivy I'm doing what I think is best for you." Damon says.

"Damon..." Stefan warns.

"You think ripping my soulmate away from me is what's best for me?!" I scoff in disbelief.

"Yes. He is a psychopath. You shouldn't even be around him!" Damon replies.