Brand new city

———

———

I still cannot believe I am engaged.

And on top of that, Nik and I were in New Orleans!

After Nik found a letter from Katherine, reading,
"Klaus, I hear Elijah has refused you the cure and in return, you have refused me my freedom. Shame on you both. But while you boys sort out your problems, I have one last thing to offer you. I've caught wind that there is a witch in New Orleans named Jane-Anne Deveraux plotting a move against you. Hunt her down. What she has to say will rattle you so deeply to your core that chasing little old me will be the least of your concerns. It's been a fun five centuries, Klaus, but I've worn down too many good heels running from you. Love, and hate, Katerina."

We immediately left for Louisiana, wanting to see what this Jane-Anne was plotting.

———

Nik walked us over to a woman who sat at a table on a busy street in New Orleans.

Her small table had a sign letting tourists know she was a psychic and could provide palm readings.

"Good afternoon. Time for one more?" Nik asked the woman with a smile.

"I have nothing to say to you." She answers plainly.

I furrow my brows and wonder why she didn't want to speak with Nik.

"Oh, now that's not very amiable, is it? You don't even know me." Nik replies.

"I know what you are. Half-vampire, half-beast. You're the hybrid." The woman answers.

Ohhh...that's why.

"I'm the Original hybrid, actually, but that's a long story for another time." Nik corrects before continuing. "I'm looking for someone-- a witch. Perhaps you might be able to help me find her. Jane-Anne Deveraux."

"Sorry. I don't know." The woman answers, though the twinge of fear in her eyes suggest otherwise.

"Well, now that's a fib, isn't it? Now, you see, I know that you're a true witch amongst this sea of poseurs, so enough with the fabrications. I've quite a temper." Nik says.

"Witches don't talk outta school in the Quarter. The vampire won't allow it. Those are the rules. I don't break Marcel's rules." The woman replies.

"Marcel's rules? Where do you suppose I might find Marcel?" Nik's asks.

———

Nik leads me by the hand into a bar where a man has just finished his karaoke performance.

The man then jumps down from the small stage and walks over to a group of his friends.

I look down as they spot Nik and a tense silence fills the air.

"Klaus." The man states.