Familiar faces

———

———

Yesterday was hectic.

Not for me because I was driving to Chicago with Nik when we were informed of the days events.

Pastor young had blown himself and the members of the council up in his home.

Naturally, a funeral was held.

Basically anything that could've went wrong, went wrong.

Elena couldn't drink blood from anything except from the vein. Not to mention there was now a vampire hunter on the loose. The hunter shot Tyler at the funeral, but fortunately he survived.
Which is why I was currently standing with Nik in the Lockwood mansion, waiting for the hybrid to arrive.

"Who the hell are you two?" I hear Tyler question some people from the other room.

"Tyler, it's okay. They're here for your protection." Caroline calms him.

"More deputies?" Tyler scoffs.

"Not exactly." Nik says as we walk into the room.

"They're hybrids." Tyler states with a sigh.

"We were halfway to Chicago when I heard you were attacked. I had hoped to leave Mystic Falls for good, but duty calls." Nik says.

"Nice to know you care." Tyler mumbles sarcastically.

"I don't. I should have killed you for the little stunt you and your friends pulled. Stopping my heart, leaving me in a coffin to rot." Nik responds.

"Yeah, well you used my body as an escape hatch, then kissed my girlfriend." Tyler grumbles.

"Okay, first of all, she kissed Nik, and second, I'd like to forget that whole ordeal. So if we could just not bring that up..." I interject.

"Whatever, I say we're even." Tyler speaks to Nik.

"Not even close. But, you hybrids are a dying breed. I can't make more of you, and I won't have anyone taking liberties with the ones I have left." Nik replies.

"Consider them your new bodyguards." Nik adds as he starts to walk off.

"Wait, where are you going?" I call after him.

He spins around with a soft smile as he walks back to me.

"Off to handle some vampire business. I'd take you with me but I don't want you getting hurt."

"You're leaving me here?" I whisper shout.

"I'll be back as soon as I can, but for now, here with my hybrids is the safest place to be." He explains.

"I better get ice cream for this." I grumble.

"You have my word."

"That's Elijah's thing! You can't steal his bit, he's so proud of it." I giggle.