Chapter 3

SOFIA

We almost finished setting the table as the door opens and a girl enters followed by a guy, both carrying many heavy bags. The girl turns around and as she sees me, she smiles, leaves the bags on the ground and comes to hug me. As we let go, I get a better view of her. She has black hair and big doe blue eyes. There are a few freckles around her nose. She's wearing a jeans overall and a pastel blue sweater underneath. Her feet are covered in personalised Converse, with small flowers on them.

"Hi. I'm so happy I finally get to meet you. I'm Nessie. Vanessa Shannon. I'll be your new roomie," she presents herself. I smile at her and do the same:

"Hi. I'm Soph. Sofia Estair. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Pleasure's all mine, Soph," she replies. After a while, she covers her mouth with her hand and asks: "Can I call you Soph?"

"Sure," I answer chuckling. She smiles relieved and then calls for the guy.

"Mark. Come meet my new roomie."

A dark brown haired guy appears at her side. His jaw drops as he sees me."Your Royal Highness. My name is Mark, Mark Turner," he presents himself.

"He's my boyfriend," Nessie quickly adds. Mark gives her a kiss on her cheek, to which the girl blushes. I look at them dreamy. I haven't been in a relationship in a while now. I am still too afraid to be in one. In my experiences, love only leaves you hurt.

"It's lovely to meet you, Mark," I say. "Please, call me Sofia. Or Soph."

He nods understanding, then goes back to kissing Nessie. He slides a hand along her hip, to which she curls her hands around his neck. I watch the scene both disgusted and sad. I've kissed guys, however, none of them managed to give me butterflies. Or make me feel a thrill. I only felt empty.

"Hey lovebirds, will you stop and help us set the table," Nini shouts from the living room, as if she could understand how I feel. I give her a thankful look. She smiles at me telling me it's not a problem.

The two separate themselves from each other and make themselves useful. Nessie starts working on the lasagna together with April and Dia, Mark helps us prepare some drinks. I get to choose the drink, although I told them they've already done too much for me, and I decide on pink lemonade. It's my all-time favorite. Nini smiles at me agreeing and does me a thumbs up. I chuckle.

As dinner is ready, I go over to Darrel's room and invite him over. As he sees me, he does a full-on body scan and as he realizes I am unharmed, he asks: "Where is your tiara?"

He obviously had to ask that.

It's none of your business.

"I left it in the room," I say. He sighs.

"Your Royal Highness, you know the rules," he comments. I hardly keep a snort inside.

"I'll put it back on when we're there," I reply. He accepts and follows me to my room. As we enter and he closes the door (even locks it), I lead him into the living room and introduce him: "Everyone, this is my bodyguard Darrel. Darrel, meet everyone."

Darrel only nods and from that I understand he already checked everyone's file before. I barely keep myself from snapping.

It's my life. My friends. You can't just profile each of them.

We both sit down at the table and the girls bring the food. I wanted to help, they tell me I should sit down and enjoy. I nod, although there's no way I will enjoy it. Darrel reminds me of who I am. A girl who'll never have freedom. Never. I'll always be the one with the tiara. People don't care who's behind the crown. They want me to be perfect. And I know I screwed up once. I promised myself I'll never be free, since I already made a mistake.

The rest of the night goes by smoothly. After dinner, which was filled with smalltalk, Darrel goes back into his room. Nessie and Mark go to her room and I could understand what Nini meant with them being loud. They really are. Too disgusted, I return into my room. Nini joins me after some time.

"You okay?" she asks. I nod and fake a chuckle.

"Just didn't want to hear them doing it."

She also chuckles."You'll get used to it. They do it on a daily basis."

My eyes wide open. She lets out a laugh. Afterwards, she sits down next to me on my bed and looks at me worried."You sure you're okay? You've been acting different during dinner."

I can't believe she noticed. We've just met. Yet, I answer her: "I guess I was just afraid of how you'll react to the fact I have a bodyguard."

She looks at me encouraging. "I'm okay with it. Everyone is." Then, she takes a break: "Are you though? You don't seem to like it as much."

I take a deep breath before I answer: "I guess I am. I always wanted to be free though. Him constantly following me and reminding me of my duty isn't what I call freedom."

"So screw him," she says matter-of-factly. Then continues: "What annoys you the most right now?"

"The tiara. And the fact I have to wear it 24/7."

Nini nods agreeing: "Look what you'll do. Tomorrow, just go without it."

I shake my head scared. "He'll notice. Then tell my parents. They won't like it."

"You don't like it," she replies. She has a point. I am silent though. After a while, she says: "Just try it. It's only one day."

I nod and look thankful at her. "Thanks, Nini. I'm so glad you're my roomie."

"Me too. Remember, I'm here if you need me, Soph."

I nod and close my eyes, allowing myself to dream. I haven't done that in a while.