Chapter 8

SOFIA

I see him again at the canteen at lunch time. He's sitting at the table with the cool guys. As I'm carrying my tray on the way to my table and our eyes meet for a millisecond, he smirks. I look away and hurry to go sit down.

Nini quickly has me in a hug and I take my sit on the bench next to her and April. Dia and Nessie are busy with their boyfriends as yesterday.

When I'm down, I ask the girls the question I have had in my head since the first time I saw him.

"Hey, Nini, April?" I ask and the two turn their whole attention to me. I continue: "Who is he?" I ask, pointing with my head to the guy. He notices that I'm not the only one looking anymore and looks away.

"Which one?" April asks and I describe him: "Shoulder-long curly hair, grey eyes, shirt... who is he?"

Nini gets the hints since she answers: "That's Alec Dunn."

You must be kidding me.

"That's Alec Dunn?!" I ask, still not wanting to believe.

"Yep. Alec Dunn. The billionaire bad boy," she adds, to make me understand. Then, she realizes something's up and that I wouldn't be asking without reason: "Why?"

April also panics: "Did he say something to you? He might be dangerous and all, but if he said something to you, I swear I'm going to kill him."

"No, he didn't say anything," I lie to calm her down. Then I process what she just said and ask: "Dangerous?! What do you mean he's dangerous?"

"Well, apart the fact he's a billionaire and a bad boy, no one knows much about him," Nini explains.

"Rumours have it he killed someone," April continues. My eyes wide-open. He did what?!

"He did what?!" I also let out.

"Calm down, it's just a rumour," Nini says, then looks at Alec, who is in a conversation with a ginger-haired guy in a tux. As he feels my gaze on him, he turns to look and our eyes meet. I look away again.

"He does look like he could kill someone," Nini adds. I sigh exhausted. And as I could feel him stare at me again, I ask myself what on Earth could I have possibly done to get so much attention from him.

Some guys turn to him, the athletes Nini and April talked about yesterday, and start talking with Alec and the ginger. After a while, they all stand up and walk away. And they don't just walk away. Everyone stares at them. Everyone wants them. They rule Wrencore.

"They're annoying as shit," April says, as if she could read my thoughts. I turn to her interested. She continues: "It's the truth." April points to one of the guys walking along with the Fab Five. He has the same chocolate skin tone as her and wears a football hoodie with the name Davis written on the back. "That's my brother," she explains. "Kai. Vice-Captain of the football team. He's Noah's best friend," she says that pointing to the dark-haired guy they introduced as football captain yesterday. "Noah is annoying as shit. Because of Kai, we sometimes have to hang out in the same places and he's the worst. He treats girls like his little toys. And because he looks like that and is famous, girls even want it."

She sighs annoyed and I join her.

"And Dunn?" I ask, since the guy just passed by me and our eyes met again.

"I don't know. Last time Dunn had a girlfriend was a few months ago. Since then he's only doing one-night-stands. Can't tell."

I nod and follow the guys leaving with my eyes. April and Nini stare at me.

"What?" I ask confused.

"Do you have something for Alec Dunn?!" they reply in sync.

"No", I answer sincere. "How could I? He's an asshole."

The two chuckle at my remark. I look at them with an eyebrow raised.

"It's just, I haven't heard a princess speak like that," April explains. Nini continues: "We're proud of you, Soph."

I chuckle and thank the universe I found these girls as best friends.