Chapter 21

SOFIA

One week later

I still can't believe it's already Monday. Better said, I don't want to believe it's already Monday. I've just had the best week ever. After the girls came on the second, we celebrated my birthday the next day. The ball has been amazing, even with the small talk. I wore a beautiful white long princess dress, that by now hit the covers of every fashion magazine. Every time the small talk was getting boring, one of my friends noticed and rescued me. I am grateful to this day for what they've done.

We spent the next days travelling. First, I've showed the girls around Broix. We took another trip to Dufoix and some day trips to Milan (where we did tones of clothes shopping), Lake Como (where we took the palace's private boat and had Darrel sail us around the lake), Bergamo (for sightseeing and eating pizza) and Verona (again for sightseeing and the food). In Verona, we even did the whole Romeo and Juliette scene at the balcony. That's how the seven days we've had together were very fast gone. They count however as the best holiday I've ever had.

Which brings me back to hating the fact it's Monday. The only thing I like is I get to wear the clothes I bought in Milan. Which are all Chanel. And as I said before, I love Chanel. But apart from that, I hate Monday.

It's the middle of economics class I get the texts messages. All three of them. All from Nini.

HER: Soph!!!

HER: You have to see this

HER: I swear, Soph, the whole school is talking about it

I panic so I quickly text back.

ME: Nini, what happened?

She answers as fast.

HER: I'll tell you in the big break.

HER: But it's bad...And it looks good...Which makes it worse...

What the heck?!

That's also what I type.

ME: What the heck?! Nini, you're making me worried.

HER: Well, you should be.

HER: Anyway, see you in the big break.

I continue the class more worried as ever.

~

I normally meet Nini and the other girls in the canteen. This time, I chose to go directly to her. Since I was so worried, I couldn't bear wait I don't know how much til she comes out.

I find her in the auditorium. Based on her makeup, she just had some auditions. She still had a butterfly makeup on, with wings painted on her face. She matched the look nice though, with a glittery top and some jeans.

"Nini, what happened?" I say, walking straight to her. Some students who are also coming out late start greeting me with Your Royal Highness, yet I go straight to the redhead. I am too worried to notice anything else.

She understands and takes me by my wrist. Her bag already hangs from her shoulders and she leads me outside the auditorium and the arts hall, and all the way to the canteen. As I enter, she doesn't have to say what happened for me to notice. It's Alec. Who cut his hair shorter.

The until then locks reaching his shoulders are gone. The sides are cut short, his thick curly hair all gathered in the middle. He had a long fringe, the one perfect for ruffling.

I want to ruffle his hair as if he were five.

I force the thought away. He hurt me. I can't go back to him.

I want to ruffle his hair.

I force the thought away once more. It's gone. That wish died that night.

I notice that everyone is staring at Alec. The girls are almost drooling. Which means, I wasn't the only one who wanted his hair shorter. Yet, the people are also looking at something else. His neck. And the scar I discovered that night.

Alec seems more tense as normal. He is talking with the guys at the table, isn't quite paying attention. He has his serious face on, and his eyes are again cutting like blades.

That only changes once. As he sees me.

Our eyes meet for a few seconds, and he freezes. He doesn't look away. I am too shocked to move. For five seconds, he becomes vulnerable again. Five seconds. Until I break the eye contact and go with Nini to our table.

Even while I am eating, I can feel his gaze on me. He is staring. And even while I am eating, my thoughts are only about him. And those five seconds our eyes met. It's funny how you spend one week to try to move on, and after just one look, all the walls you've build to help you heal fall down. And you're taken back to it all. I'm taken back to him.

A princess's love life should be simple. You marry the Prince Charming. But what happens, when you fall for the misunderstood villain?