Chapter 54

SOFIA

One month and a half later

"We really are happy that you agreed, Sofia." My Father says, leading me towards the ballroom. I'm wearing a puffy blue dress that is supposed to make me look happy. The same works for the makeup on my face. All meant to cover up the fact I'm crying daily.

As the designers made my dress, they had to bring it back to change the size of the corset. I stopped eating lately, which made me lose a lot of pounds. My doctors aren't happy with me or my condition and keep saying I'll only get worse if I don't start having a normal diet again. I just nod at them and lie I'll get working on it. Of course, I won't. What's the point?

My world is already broken.

We enter the ballroom through the big golden doors. As we step inside, everyone's eyes are on us.

"Are you ready, darling?" he says, bending down in front of me to everyone's surprise. He's the king. He shouldn't bend down at anyone.

Yet he did it for me.

"I am", I say, making a small curtsy in front of him. He smiles and takes me by my arm, leading me down the staircases. My soft spot for fashion kicks again. My gown reacts to the stairs, making it look like a river as I walk down. A river, everyone is looking at with admiration.

I know I should smile. I want to smile. Yet I can't.

Not ever since you've lost him.

Father leads me through the crowd wanting to talk to us. We only stop in front of mother, who kisses my cheek and whispers: "You look amazing, Sofia. My dear, you're stunning." I offer her a small (fake) smile and kiss her cheek. Karl also comes to compliment me, yet him I offer nothing. I have nothing left to give. Everything was already stolen from me.

The music starts playing in the background and the guests already start building dance pairs for the waltz. Although I recognize the song, an instrumental version of What A Wonderful World, all I can hear is Here With Me.

Father looks at me as if he knows what I'm thinking of and nods, showing me I should move on and agree to dance. I want to mouth him "With whom?", however, as if he could read my mind, he shows me I should turn around. There's a line of gentlemen, all dressed in fancy tuxes, one more expensive than the other one, waiting to ask me to dance with them.

Damn it.

It's an official ball and I've promised my parents to attend, so I have to put on that fake smile I've by now gotten used to in the last one month and a half and pretend that I'm enjoying it.

I turn to the first guy, who takes his chance and asks me, looking a bit nervous: "Your Royal Highness, would you give me the honor of this dance?"

I nod and he offers me his hand. He placed his hand on my waist and I turn cold. I haven't been touched by any other guy since Alec.

You don't want to be touched by any other guy who isn't Alec.

As the music begins playing again with the same song, he starts leading us across the room and spinning me like a ballerina. He doesn't even notice how hard I'm shivering or how scared I am to dance again.

You think? I don't know what to say. My dancing skills are worse than the ones a prince or duke might have.

I think I've zoned out for the entire dance. The guy bows in front of me at the end and I acknowledge his bow with a nod. He asks me if we should dance again, yet I politely refuse, saying there are other guys waiting as well. If he was disappointed, he didn't show it.

The next few dances go as this one. There is no one that actually catches my eye, no one that makes me forget the fact the songs are changing and that they're not playing Here with Me... No one.

There are only two guys I have to dance with left. Right now, I'm staring at the first of them, a blonde haired with some deep brown eyes. He has a different style then the other ones. He wears his suit differently. If all the other ones seem to wear a tux because they were forced to, this guy seems to own it. Like the tux belongs to him.

"I know I'm stunningly attractive, but you don't have to keep staring, Your Royal Highness", the guy says as in a joke. It makes me chuckle.

Great job, Sofia. You haven't done that in a while.

"You couldn't have possibly known, unless you were staring in return." I reply, not to be the only one embarrassed between us.

He smirks and adds: "I have no problem in admitting that. The view was stunning."

"Did you just call me stunning?" I ask, a bit amused.

"Well, you are."

I offer him my hand and he takes it, pulling me closer. I am shivering harder, so hard, I might collapse in any second.

"Is this alright? Do you need some water?" he asks me, noticing my anxiety. This already makes him better than the rest of my dance partners so far.

"I'm fine. Just a little nervous." I answer, giving him a thankful smile for asking me. He blushes, yet quickly hides it.

"You don't have to be." He said, spinning me around, then pulling me back close. "You're gorgeous."

"I'm flattered", I respond chuckling. We continue dancing to the music and I hardly notice the time passing by. It's the end of the song as I realize he's bowing in front of me to mark that our dance is finished.

Another guy walks up to me to ask me to dance, yet I don't want him. I prefer dancing with the blonde from before.

I look at him and say: "Would you be up for another round?"

He smiles and replies: "Gladly."

He takes my waist again pulling me close, and this time, I don't shiver as hard.

"You know, the other guys will probably kill me for getting to dance two times with the Princess." he says, pointing out to the group of young male guests throwing death stares at him. The death stares disappear as soon as I look at them and all put a quick smile on.

"They might", I reply chuckling. Then add: "You should tell me your name then, in case I'll look at the missing people list."

He smirks and introduces himself: "Victor, Victor Cambell. Duke of..."

"Montcoeur", I end for him, putting two and two together. He is famous around the world for his reputation. He's one of those perfect Prince Charmings with a smile that leaves every girl at his feet and an inheritance so big he could afford the world.

"I'm flattered to see you know my name, Your Royal Highness", he says, still smirking.

"You can see it as general knowledge, Your Grace," I reply. He smiles.

"Please, call me Victor." he adds. I smile at him and reach him my hand.

"Sofia."

He nods and instead of shaking it, he kisses it.

I haven't had a man kiss me ever since Alec.

That's because no man should kiss you apart from Alec.

You're cheating on him.

He broke up with me.

It's still wrong.

It doesn't feel wrong.

It feels nice. Like someone cares about me.

"Will I see you again, Sofia?" Victor asks, pulling me back from my thoughts.

No.

"Yes", I answer, ignoring the voice in my head.

He smirks and walks away.

I go in my room and come back to my new best friend. Crying.