Chapter 23

ALEC

"Shut. The. Hell. Up," I hiss through my teeth. Adam, who's sitting on my couch and has been teasing me about being in love until now, just laughs amused and gives me one of those looks as if I were hopeless. I guess I am.

"You were the one who called me here." He adds. I roll my eyes annoyed, although it's true. I called him here. Exactly after Foxy texted me she'll go out on a date with me. I was so happy, then I realized I had no idea where I want to take her. So, I texted my best friend to come. And he luckily did. He had a meeting but came as soon as he was done.

"I know. And I am starting to regret it." I reply, although I don't really mean it. And he knows it. Since he now grins amused.

He stands up and starts wondering through my kitchen. As he's done, he opens a nice bottle of liquor and pours himself some. Adam is not a big drinker; he knows when to stop. When we're out together, he's always the one who has to bring me home as I'm drunk.

"Want some?" He asks, pulling out a second glass. I shake my head. I decided to quit drinking. I need Foxy. And she made it clear I can't have her as long as I'm drinking. Besides, Foxy was right. That night, I was so wasted something could have happened. And I couldn't live knowing I killed Foxy. Or, better said, I couldn't live without Foxy. So, I quit drinking.

Adam throws me a proud look and pours down the liquor he's put himself in the glass in the sink.

"You don't, I don't..." he says. Although it was a nice gesture, I still tease him.

"That drink cost more than your suit." I add. He doesn't get annoyed, just sighs amused:

"It's Saint Laurent, so I don't think so." he replies.

After a while, he comes joins me at the table I was sitting at and opens his laptop.

"So, what's your problem again? Apart from the fact you're so in love you might die from it. Honestly, is it an illness? Is there a cure to it?" he continues. I show him the finger and swear at him. He laughs again.

"I don't know where I should take Foxy on a date. I mean..." I want to continue but he interrupts me.

"Foxy?! That's seriously how you call her?! Foxy?!"

"What's wrong with that, asshole?"

"Were sweetheart, honey or love taken? Are you seriously naming your crush after an animal. What if I would have a girlfriend and I would call her Puppy. Oh, Puppy, I love you so much. I miss your tongue on my skin. Puppy, be nice."

I get pissed.

"Shut. Up. She likes it."

"Or she's too nice to say it."

"She likes the nickname. I can see it."

"Sure she does..." he adds mistrusting. "Anyway, now that we know that disturbing piece of information, what does she like? Apart from the shitty nickname, I mean. So that we can find out where you should take her."

I look past his insult towards the nickname I love and answer: "She likes art."

"Dude, you bought her so many paintings she might have the MET in her room. You need to do something else."

I don't agree. I already bought her another painting I'm going to giver her one day. It's one I saw at the gallery a few days after she left and that night. It's a picture of blonde girl standing in front of a painting filled with kiss marks. I just had to think of her and that night I saw her in the gallery. So I bought it. But I'll never tell Adam about it.

"Okay then, genius, what do you suggest?" I ask him partly annoyed. He sighs and goes with his hand through his overly ginger hair. That's what he always does when he thinks.

"What else does she like?" he asks me after a while.

"She used to enjoy riding the motorbike but that's a no..."

Adam lets out a "You think?!" and then carries on: "Anything else."

I mentally replay our date when she told me what she liked. "Okay, so she likes reading and travelling."

"The second one doesn't work. Her bodyguard has to be there, and that guy trusts you as far as he can kill you." Adam replies. I let out a snort thinking about Darrel and say:

"He would kill me."

"Exactly. Then, no travelling. But you said she likes to read. You could start something with that."

I think for a while, then an idea hits me.

"Hey, Adam." I call out for him, although he's sitting next to me.

"Yes, Alec?"

"Where's the next bookstore?"