Chapter 20

SOFIA

My hands are covered in milk as the phone rings. With my head, I make Darrel a sign to take my phone and respond. He does as I ask him.

In a few seconds, I can hear April scream: "Soph!". I guess she called on video, since she asks: "Darrel, where's Soph? I called to see my best friend."

Darrel sighs annoyed and turns the camera. That's when I see April, probably in her room given the background. Dia is also in the background, yet she comes next to April and the screen fills up with their faces.

April sighs as she sees me. So does Dia. April is the first one to recover from the shock however and asks: "Soph, what the heck are you doing?"

It's not me who answers, but my bestie, who's next to the cow. Yes, cow. Because I made the mistake to agree to Nini's crazy idea about going to Dufoix, so we are now at a dairy farm, making cheese. More exactly, I am making cheese, and she is milking the cow.

"We're making our own cheese", she screams from there, smiling above both ears like a five-year-old entering a candy store. April's eyes wide open. So do Dia's.

"You're making what?" they ask in sync.

"Nini insisted that we should make cheese," I explain. 

April smirks and adds: "I'm so tasting your cheese." Dia doesn't change the shocked face expression."Where is Nini now?" the brunette asks after a while. My bestie answers again from where she is, next to the cow.

"I'm milking", she replies. The girls'eyes wide open again. Darrel can't hold back a chuckle.

"What the heck?" April asks. "I want to see that."

This time, Darrel doesn't sigh annoyed and does as April asks, turning to camera to Nini, who starts waving. The two start laughing, and Nini smirks. I can't help but join the laughter.

"I thought you're waiting so that we can do the fun stuff together," April adds amused after a while.

"You're here for a week. We'll have plenty of time to do fun stuff," I respond. It's true. They managed to get a week free of courses. It appears that when the board gets a letter from a member of a royal family, they tend to do as asked. Which now won us a week together in Cordelia.

"Where's Nessie, by the way?" I ask. April smiles and shouts: "Nessie! Soph and Nini are on the phone."

In not more than a minute, the black-haired blue-eyed girl rushes inside, wearing one of her usual sweaters and jeans. And an apron.

"Are you baking?" I ask. She nods proud.

"Snacks for the flight. We also did some for you. We made your favorite croissants and for Nini her chocolate chip cookies."

Nini stops milking as she hears that and asks: "With caramel drizzle?"

"Of course," Nessie replies smiling. Then, as she notices the situation, she asks: "What are you two doing?"

"We're making cheese for you," I answer smirking. Nini backs me up by nodding.

"Uhm, okay," the girl answers, pretty much shocked. As on cue, the oven starts beeping so she quickly runs away.

April reappears on the screen, followed by Dia.

"So, what should we pack?" she asks.

I think about it then answer.

"The weather's pretty nice. I guess, you should bring light clothes. For the gala, we've already talked to the palace's fashion designer and he's making gowns for all of us, so no need to stress. If you want, Italy is close by, so we can go to the sea one day." Everyone nods and I smile, continuing: "Then, maybe a bathing suit too. Apart from that, we might spend a lot of time in Broix or the neighbourhood, so just normal clothes."

"Don't we need other gala dresses?" April asks. "We're living at the palace, girl."

I smile. She's right. I managed to convince my parents to let them all live at the palace. Now, they'll be staying in the guest bedrooms close to my suite.

"If you want. If not, the gowns take much space and I have enough here. I can borrow you some."

Nini nods, backing me up: "The girl owns a closet so big, it's made out of two rooms. She has more than enough."

I smile guilty. April and Dia smirk. "Then we'll borrow some."

After a while in which I can see them putting stuff in their luggages, April remembers something and gasps: "By the way, Soph, Alec Dunn stopped by a few days ago."

I freeze as I hear his name. So does Nini.

"He did what?!" I ask confused.

"Yeah, just a day after you left. It was around morning. He asked where you were. I told him you're away. Anyway, it was really random. Is something up between you two?"

I shake my head in a hurry. "Nothing up. I don't know why he came."

Nini notices my lie and as the two aren't looking, she gives me a look. I shake with my shoulders.

"Oh, okay. Anyway, I told him to leave," April adds.

"Thanks, April," I respond. I really don't want to talk about Alec right now.

We continue talking for a while, April and Dia telling us about their week at university and me and Nini telling them about what we did so far. We've been in Broix yesterday and the day before, since Nini loved it. We spent the whole time shopping, going to art galleries and walking around town. The girls can't wait before they also arrive.

"We miss you so much!" April says, as we want to hang up. Dia comes in the screen again and adds: "We seriously can't wait to come."

"We can't wait til you're here," I reply. Nini stands up and comes next to me: "Yeah, counting down the seconds."

Afterwards, we say goodbye and close the phone, going back to our cheese making. After a while, when it is done, Nini tries it first and lets out a short sigh.

"What?" I ask her confused. With her finger, she takes a bit from the cheese and tries to put it in my mouth. I don't want to.

"Please, trust me. It's good," she adds.

I roll my eyes and nod. She smirks victoriously and whispers: "Open up."

I open my mouth and she puts the cheese into my mouth. And damn it, it's good.

"It's delicious," I whisper. She smiles.

"I knew you'd love it. Now you're finally getting the title of Cheese Duchess."

I smirk and let out a small: "Damn you."

She smirks brighter and turns to the guy who taught us to do it. "We're taking it all, please." Then, again to me, she whispers: "The others will love it."

I just can't hold it and start laughing. She joins. We spend the rest of the day wondering around the village, taking pictures and talking to the locals.

This really is the best trip ever.