Chapter 11

SOFIA

It has already been my first week here at Wrencore. It's Friday and I am working on an essay on my bed, as the phone rings. I immediately smile as I see the Caller's ID. Secure Line. That could only mean one person. My brother.

"Karl!" I greet him as I pick up. He chuckles at the fact I knew it was him.

"Fia!" he calls me by the nickname he's given me. I love it. "How is school, darling?"

"It's great. I have already made some friends."

"You have? I am so happy for you", he says and as on cue, Nini enters through the door and throws herself on the bed. She mouths who as she sees I'm on my phone and I mouth My brother back. She nods understanding and makes me a sign asking me whether or not I want her to leave. I make her a sign in return, to assure her it's okay and she can stay. She takes her laptop and her headphones and starts to watch a movie.

"Yeah, my roommates. They are the best. I hope you'll meet them one day," I tell him. He chuckles. 

"Why don't you invite them to your ball?"

Of course. My eighteen anniversary. 3rd of November. The ball. My parents are so thrilled, they invited every head of state, royal family, important businesspeople and congress people in the world. I have a guest list bigger than the whole students at Wrencore combined. The only ones I know will be the other princes and princesses or sons and daughters of presidents I met growing up and attending state visits with my parents. However, I can't call them my friends.

"Mother and Father wouldn't agree", I let out sad. 

Karl quickly backs me up: "I'll put in a good word for you". I thank him for at least hundred times before he says: "Of course, Fia. I'm glad to hear you're having fun and living your life. I know how much you wanted it."

He obviously did. My brother has been my best friend growing up. He's the only one who has fully ever known me. Yet, he doesn't know my darkest secret. Only one person does. And that's because that person is the one who stopped me from doing it.

Silence installs between us. It feels awkward, so I break it: "How are you, brother?"

He sighs and I can hear some footsteps. He probably changed rooms, to be alone. "I am fine. Trying to get through king practice alive," he says chuckling.

I try to encourage him: "You'll make a great king, Karl."

"I hope so. I really do," he replies lost in thoughts.

Another voice is heard muffled in the background. Karl chuckles and says: "Mother wants me to put you on the phone."

"It's fine. Let me talk to her," I answer. He agrees and in a few seconds I could hear my Mother's voice, now all clear: "Sofia! Honey! I miss you so much! How are you? How's college?"

"Hi, Mother. I am great. College is amazing."

She sighs and I can already see her crying: "I'm so happy for you, love. How are your roommates?"

"They're all very nice and we're already friends now."

"Of course you are", she says. "Sweetheart, you're too adorable for people not to like you."

Tell that to Tessa.

"I don't know about that, Mother, but thanks."

She chuckles: "I miss you, Sofia. I'm counting down the seconds until you're birthday so I can see you again."

"I miss you too, Mother. And I can't wait to come back as well."

I can almost see her smile and it breaks my heart knowing I lied saying I want to come back home. I tried to get away. The thought of coming back scares me.

I can hear Karl's voice in the background and Mother saying: "Your brother wants his phone back. We'll talk soon, love."

"Of course, Mother. Love you!"

"Love you too!"

She hangs up and my brother comes to talk to me again: "Sorry about that. She was around and heard me talking to you."

"It's fine," I calm him down. "How are they?" I ask. I don't have to tell their names for him to understand who I mean.

"They're...you know...the same. Still won't talk to each other. Father came with the idea of us doing family dinners. Him, me, Gillian and Mother. I honestly don't want to know how that will go."

I can't answer. I lost my words. It pains me to hear he's still suffering because our parents' relationship.

"But enough of that, Fia," he adds, when noticing my silence. "It's Friday night. Do you have any plans for the weekend?" he asks. I sadly don't.

"No. Not yet." 

"Oh, come on. Is there no one who caught your eye?" he continues in a teasing tone. I chuckle, yet inside I'm frozen, knowing Alec has been waiting for me before and after class for the last days. He doesn't talk to me, just nods or mouths Good morning, Foxy! or Bye, Foxy!. It's sweet and creepy at the same time.

"No. No one," I say, trying not to seem like I'm hiding something. 

I guess it works, since he chuckles. "Well, tell me if someone appears. I'd love to meet this Prince Charming."

"Sure thing," I lie again.

Nini notices I must be in trouble since she looks up from her laptop and mouths whether I need help. I nod thankfully. She then starts screaming: "Soph! Dinner ready!"

My brother must have heard since he asks: "Soph? You have a new nickname."

"Yeah. That's my bestie, Nini. I should go."

He understands and tells me goodbye. I do the same and throw my phone on my bed. Nini comes to sit next to me."Are you alright, Soph?"

"Yes," I lie once more. 

She nods, even though seeing it wasn't true. After a few seconds of silence, she whispers: "I'm here for you if you need me, you know?"

I nod and give her a big hug. She pulls me closer and only lets me go as my breath goes back to normal and tears stop rolling down my face.

"Hey, what are you doing tomorrow?" she asks me after a while. I raise my shoulders.

"I don't know. Nothing special. Why?"

"Have you ever seen New York?" Nini asks. I'm getting curious.

"I have. I've been to a gala my parents were invited to once."

"But you haven't seen it, have you?" she insists. I shake my head. "What do you say if we went on a trip there tomorrow? I could ask the others and it would be fun."

"I don't know... ,"I reply sad. "I really want to come, but Darrel..."

"Forget Darrel," she snaps. "I'll convince him. He can come with us if you want. So, what do you say?"

I take some time to think about it then my mouth turns into a smile: "I say let's do it."

"Perfect. You're going to love it."

I smile at her. I know I will.