4.

Present Day
New York

The apartment flowed with soft jazz from the hidden sound system. The lights were dimmed, with only a couple lamps adding illumination. There was a repetitive sound from the kitchen- a machine dispensing Baileys and ice into a glass. Ginny lingered behind her brother, removing her shoes and sweater.

The fluffy golden retriever, who her mom had cleverly named Goldie, bounded up to greet her. Her paws click-clacked against the dark hardwood. Timothee turned around to pet her with a big grin, cooing as Goldie wagged her tail.

"Hi girl! How are you? Oooo I've missed you!"

Ginny chuckled at Goldie's dramatic response of plopping on the floor, showing off her tummy in hopes of a lot of rubs and pats. The youngest Chalamet scratched her butt, while Timothee lowered himself into a squat, shaking his face in front of the golden's. "You're so funny, Goldie."

"Are those my two favorite children?" Nicole sing-songs from the kitchen. She rounded the corner, entering the spacious area that acted as a living room, dining room, and foyer. She was wearing a flowy sundress that had sleeves like butterfly wings. The fabric was a sunflower yellow that lightened Nicole's aging brown eyes.

Timothee shook his head, standing up to hug their mom. He laughed into her shoulder. His arms wrapped around her skinny shoulders like a bear. "What about Pauline, ma?"

Nicole slapped him on the back. She wiggled out of his grip and threw on a playful smile. "Is she here? I don't think soooo."

Ginny made a mental note to tease Pauline the next time they spoke. Nicole rushed over to her other daughter, bringing her into a warm hug. "How was the last day of school, Gin?"

Ginny squeezed her mom tight, worrying that she might break her in the process. "Oh, it was good! The kids made me some sweet cards and I gave them their goodie bags. Timmy stopped by to help me pack up, too."

Nicole grabbed both her children, pinching their cheeks. "I'm so glad! Now, are you guys hungry? Thirsty? I have a delicious dinner ready!"

"I'm starved, Ma." Timothee rubbed his stomach. He was always hungry, and yet he never gained any weight. "Need any help?"

"Come get these plates... they're already made." Nicole instructed, waving a finger towards the kitchen. "Ginny, will you be a dear and grab our coffee. You two will drink coffee right?"

The siblings chuckled, sharing a look of amusement. Ginny spoke for them, nodding. "Of course, mom."

It still felt weird calling her mom instead of mommy. She had called her that for so long, but at some point it started to sound weird. Or maybe it had been another instance of peer pressure from a certain frenchman. Either way, she stuck with the formal. The three of them shuffle into the kitchen.

The counters are made of a brown granite that matches the urban decor. The stove is still boiling water with a pack of uncooked spaghetti resting against the metal. But besides it, three plates are filled with pasta and meatballs. Timothee takes out the food, while Ginny sets the drinks on a serving tray. They settle at the dinner/dining table. Ginny sits across from her brother. Their mom sits at the head of the table.

"Dig in you two." Nicole smiles at each of them.

Timothee dives his fork into the big meatball, bringing it up to his mouth as he ravishes like all boys do when they eat. Ginny tries not to laugh, twisting the pasta in her fork. Nicole sips the alcoholic coffee. Though, she seemed to already have a bottle of red wine open that Ginny had noticed in the kitchen. A part of her was worried that she might be... no, her mom was the strongest person she knew.