31.

Le Mans, France
Summer 2014

Ginny strolled on the sidewalk, listening to the distant sounds of music and chit-chat. There weren't any cars on the road which made the night even more dark. The buildings around the American reminded her that she was far from home.

She felt like she was in a slump... walking around town in a grey state of depression. She didn't want to go to the Gasly's estate because she'd have to face her parents and sister. If she went back to the club, she'd be surrounded by her so-called friends snogging each other. So she let out a sigh and continued her journey to no where.

She turned down another side-road and a shop came into view. Ginny furrowed her brows, noticing there was a light on. At this hour? She glanced through the clear window and noticed a whole store full of books. And it wasn't a Barnes and Noble.

She saw the electric 'Open' sign and was even more confused. It was so late, yet this bookstore was open. She pressed her hands against her shirt, smoothing the edges before grabbing the door handle. She walked inside and was greeted by an old woman sitting behind a white counter.

"Bonjour."

Ginny saw that the woman had a book open herself. She smiled at the madam and replied, "Bonjour."

For some reason, Ginny was frozen in her spot. She stared at the woman, taking in her features. She had bright, white hair that was pulled back in a low-ponytail. She had a few strays that were frizzy against her ears.

Her clothing was simple- a pair of beachy Bahama-like pants that could be used as pajamas, and a square cut shirt that was mahogany brown. She had a welcoming energy that made Ginny want to know her whole life story.

"Tourist?" She raised a brow, speaking in English.

Ginny shrugged, letting out a sigh. "Sort-of."

The woman chuckled. "American?"

"Born and raised." Ginny nodded. "But my parents are French."

"And you speak it?"

"Not so great." Ginny blushed.

The woman waved a dismissive hand. "Well, you're in luck. I need someone to practice my English with and if you'd like, I'll help you with your French."

"Really?" Ginny's eyes widened. "You'd do that?"

"Of course." The woman smiled sadly before looking around at the empty store. "I have a lot of time on my hands."

Ginny bit her bottom lip. "Are you open 24 hours?"

"I am and I'm not." She grinned smugly, getting off her stool. She slid around the counter and pointed towards the tall shelves. "Sometimes I don't feel like sleeping, so I stay open. I love books more than anything."

"That's so cool." Ginny said in awe. "You run this place all by yourself?"

The woman took a pause before pushing on a smile. "Yes, sweetheart. I do."

Ginny clapped her hands. "I'd love to work here... to help! You don't have to pay me! Your help with French is enough."

The woman cocked her head to the side. "Sweetheart, don't you want to hang around some people your age? I would love to have some help around here, but I'm sorry to say I'd be your only co-worker."

Ginny rolled her eyes. "I'm tired of the people around my age. They suck."

The book-store owner giggled under her breath. "An old soul... well, if you're going to be any help around here, I need to know your name."