6.

Present Day
New York

"No, no, no. Please tell me you're joking." Ginny paced around her apartment. She had her head tilted, keeping the iPhone pressed between her neck and shoulder. Her arms were crossed tightly against her chest. They held together a thick, fuzzy, white robe around her otherwise naked body. She'd just gotten out the shower when Sara called with terrible news.

"I wish I was." Sara sighed on the other end. "But my brother has to go to Colombia to check on our parents. My tía says they're getting worse- both of them are really sick. I have to watch my niece while he's gone. He doesn't have anyone else."

Ginny opened her eyes, gazing out the window at the rain. Droplets scattered around the glass, while others smeared like a tear. The bright moon hid behind a thick layer of clouds. The puffy grey pillows caressed all the skyscrapers nearby. The only visible light peered through the many windows, creating a checker board of illumination. Ginny sighed, nodding her head in the process. "No, yeah, I totally understand. I really hope your parents get better soon. They deserve the world."

Sara let out a long groan. "I told them not to go crazy on their excursions, but do they listen to me? No. Of course not. If only Miguel had warned them. They would've listened to him for sure."

"It's only because he's the oldest." Ginny chuckled, thinking the same thing about Pauline.

She scoffed, clicking her tongue against the roof of her mouth. "Es porque soy una Nina."

"Don't think that." Ginny reassured. "I'm just sorry you can't come to France with us. I know you've always wanted too."

Sara sadly chuckled. "I'm sorry I won't get to meet your lifelong bully and kick his ass."

"We'll save some jail time, won't we?"

"Whatever." Sara paused for a moment, probably rolling her eyes. "I feel terrible, though. Aren't you guys leaving in a couple hours?"

"Yeah, but who cares? You gotta take care of your family. It's okay, Sara." Ginny leaned against her fridge. "My brother is on his way over to my place, since I'm closer to LaGuardia. Austin is meeting us there."

"Any chances of flirting with Elvis?"

Ginny rolled her eyes, hearing the soft laughter from her best friend. "Absolutely not. He's taken anyway."

"Yeah, but for how much longer?" Sara sounded smug.

Ginny giggled. "I'll make sure to get you something."

"Oh my god. An outfit maybe? Pretty please?"

"Sure. I'll get you something nice."

"It better be some Emily in Paris type shit, okay?"

"You got it." Ginny kicked off the fridge and made way to the bedroom.

"Are you nervous?"

Ginny licked her bottom lip, feeling how dry her skin was after the scolding hot shower. "That's an understatement. I'm terrified to see Pierre and I'm even more terrified to see Charles."

"Why? It always seemed like Charles was in love with you."

"But we haven't seen each other... I dunno it's just... scary."

It sounded like Sara was shifting her comforter. The loud noise echoed in her ear. "I say flirt it up. Live your best life, bestie."

Ginny lowered her eyes to the packed suitcase. Something nagged at her heart, making her feel a pit of sadness swelling around. She lowered herself onto the bed, making the mattress dip. "But what about Pierre?"