toxic parent (requested)

The silence in the air made you shift around in your seat at the table in discomfort.

Jennie put her hand on your thigh and brushed her fingers across your skin in circles to try and comfort you.

You're sitting across the table from your mom for the first time in months and it feels more awkward than ever before.

The silence may be uncomfortable but, to Jennie, it's a relief because she thinks it's better than the conversations that usually take place between you and your mother.

You scraped your fork across your plate and it made a loud and annoying sound, becoming the first thing to break the silence in a while.

"You always know how to annoy me, don't you?" Your mom grumbled. "It's always been what you're best at."

You dropped your fork on your plate in anger, creating a loud clatter that made Jennie gasp in shock.

"Why'd you invite me over, mom?"

"Just wanted to see how you're doing." She said, faking a smile. "Up to anything big these days?"

"Not exactly."

"Figures." She sighed as she wiped her lips with the napkin. "I always knew that you weren't going to be one to achieve huge things. That's for other people in the family, better people."

Jennie clenched her jaw in anger, doing all she could to hold back the words on the tip of her tongue.

"I wish you were more like your cousins. They have so much to be proud of. If only you were as talented as them."

You scoffed and then threw your hands up in the air.

"I can't believe this. Here I am sitting in front of you for the first time in months because I wanted to give you a chance to change and all you do is criticize me and compare me to people. Why do you do this to me?"

"I just thought you'd grow up to be something special and every time I see you, I realize I was wrong about that."

Her comments cut deep.

Even after all this time that she's spent making them.

Year after year, for as long as you can remember, she's always been cruel and toxic.

And as much as you like to tell yourself that you're strong enough to overcome it, it hurts to hear those things from your mother.

It never gets any easier, no matter how much time passes by.

"You know, I've done some thinking lately." She said.

"Oh, have you now?"

"Yes. I think that Jennie is wrong for you. You two should break up."

Jennie's eyebrows furrowed as she stared at your mother in disbelief.

"Ever since you started dating her, which you know I wasn't thrilled about in the first place, you rarely ever come over."

"Yeah because she's opened my eyes about how toxic you are!" You suddenly said, making your mom scoff.

"You take that back right now. Take it back!" She screamed.

"No. It's the truth." You said as you tried to sound confident. "You are toxic. All you do is tear me down. No matter how much I accomplish, I'm never good enough and you love to remind me of that. You don't respect my boundaries, you manipulate me to get what you want, you've tried to control me, and you never apologize for the things you say or how you hurt me. You are toxic."

Jennie was proud of you for saying the words that she knows you've been dying to say to your mom for so long now.

"I don't know why I do this." You said as you scooted your chair back from the table. "I give you chance after chance no matter how much you hurt me. Maybe it's because I hope you'll change. Maybe part of me still loves you though I don't want to admit it. But I have to let that go."

"What are you talking about?" Your mom asked as she gazed at you in disgust.

"I'm done. I can't do this anymore."

"It's all in your head. I don't do anything wrong."

"Yet another sign that you're toxic," Jennie mumbled.

"You! Shut up!" Your mom yelled at her.

"You know Y/N may have a lot she wants to say to you but so do I!" Jennie yelled back. "How dare you treat your daughter this way. She is incredible! You've raised a beautiful, kindhearted, and loving daughter. But you don't see that, do you? She's not good enough the way she is to you?"

"She could be and do better."

Jennie scoffed before scooting away from the table.

"Grab your things, baby. Let's go." Jennie said to you.

"Oh, so now you're leaving?" Your mom scoffed.

"Like we should stay? Look at how you're behaving! Look at how you treat your daughter! As if she'd want to be around you?"

Jennie helped you with your hoodie as you tried to hurry and get out.

"You know you have an amazing daughter," Jennie said. "A daughter that wants you to change and be better. If you can't do that, you're going to lose her forever. And you will have no one to blame but yourself."

"Y/N! Come back here!" Your mom yelled as you and Jennie walked out of the house.

"I'm done, mom." You said as you turned around to face her. "I'm done thinking you can change because you can't. You're too toxic for it. Have fun missing out on all the things that will happen in my future. Your grandkids, mine and Jennie's wedding, a happy life. You'll miss out on all of it."

"You'll come back." She said before you got into the car.

"I won't." You said. "Not ever. I'm done. I mean it."

You got into the car and Jennie drove away, leaving your mom behind.

"Are you alright?" Jennie asked as she pulled over down the road a bit.

"Yeah. I'm good. It felt nice to get it all off my chest." You said with a breath of relief.

"I'm proud of you. You deserve to be happy, Y/N. Not torn down and compared to others constantly. You're better than that. I'm sorry your mom refuses to see that."

"It's okay. I've got you and that's all I need." You said and watched her smile.

"I'll always be here for you and I promise I'll always adore you, just as you are."

"Love you." You said, sharing a sweet kiss.

"I love you more." She said before driving away, far away from your mom.