CHAPTER 100

N   A   O   M   I

The dinner ended well as I moved towards the kitchen to help Daria, if required. I wanted to leave, but Harold was busy with the kids, so I just thought of making myself a little useful before I left.

Daria was packing the remaining food into a container, and her gaze was focused on what she was doing.

"Do you need any help?" I asked with a smile.

As her eyes landed on me, an angry grimace took over her face as she glared straight at me.
"No!!" She snapped and resumed her work.

"You're still angry, I see!" The words came out of my mouth before I could stop them.

She paused whatever she was doing and glared at me with reddened eyes.
"Yes, I am!!"  She gritted.
"Your face just reminds me of the king's agony filled life.... that you caused him." She lamented as I fixed my eyes on the counter in guilt.

"I'm..-" I was cut off harshly by her.

"Didn't you vow to him that you'd bring solace to him during hard times... didn't you??" She screeched, and I was standing in front of her, guilt ridden.
"You were not there for him when he was facing his nightmare alone... you were not there with him when he was breaking apart during the miserable days of his life... you left him.. you left him shattered without even turning behind once. You left like.. - " she took a deep breath as her chest was heaving up and down. I took a step forward towards her, but she held her palm out and continued.
"King doesn't even visit the committee anymore because of what you said to him two years back and -"

"DARIA!!!!!" I heard Gwen's alarming voice.
"What is wrong with you?" She snapped as she entered the kitchen.
"She's king's wife for godsake!" She threw her arms up in exasperation.

"Gwen, it's okay!" I tried to butt in, but suddenly Daria banged the vessel on the counter before exiting the kitchen in haste.

Gwen turned to me as her eyes softened.
"Sorry for Daria's behavior... it was just not her.." she faltered as her lips twitched.

"It's okay." I waved it off.
"Maybe I deserved it." I mumbled to myself.

"I'm glad you're here... now you all are together, which makes it even better." She smiled.

"Why is Harold not visiting the committee anymore?" I asked because I was a little taken aback by this piece of information.

"Don't know!" She shrugged as her lips tugged down.
"After Nadia's death, he never stepped his foot inside the committee." She sighed and continued.
"Since then, Dylan is looking after the committee." She said.
"And -" She was cut off as Jaxon called her.

"Mom!! Dad is waiting for you!" He said in a hurry.

"Yeah.. I'll come.. " She was again cut off by him.

"Come soon!! I need to reach home soon." He bellowed as Gwen nodded before turning to me.

"I'll get going then.." she faltered as I nodded.

She made her way out along with Jaxon as I sighed.

Even I  should get going now....